Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  05:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very impressed with the way your frame came out. I didn't realise Shapeways could make these but it is an excellent idea!

You say it shrunk 4%. Is this fairly uniform, i.e. do you think could it be designed around by making the original plastic master 4% oversize?

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, Thank you very much,
On the shrinkage I wrote; The difference between the casting and the original USE to be about 4%. You can see how little it is now. As you can see the model shrunk a couple thousands of an inch and open spaces (like axle slots) increased in size a few thousands of an inch.

It's only make-believe

rrjohn46
New Hire

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  4:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, the frame looks terrific! And the accuracy of the Shapeways process is very impressive.

John Bopp

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, I think this Avery powerful tool.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Pretty close tolerances, but I can tell you like to live on the edge.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  2:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that totally depends on the height of the cliff. But, thank you.

I do have a lot to share. Here the parts spur;

The big pieces on the end are shaft holder to hold the drive shaft in line with the gearbox like this;

It snapped together perfectly holding the bearing tight and square so that the shaft turned freely. I put a lot vertical play in the box. Above the shaft is at its lowest point and here it is about 1/8" higher;

I do have to adjust this design though. It's 1 mm too wide. 2mm too long and 1/8" too high (boy I really missed that one!).

The cover plates fit nice and tight and should be perfect when done in brass.

Here's the main and side rods;

And here's my rods with a side rod from a Porter Mogul and a side rod set and main rods set from Precision Scale made for C-16 models;

I might reduce the shafts of my Main Rods.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  9:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I've stopped by... but boy oh boy... this printed frame project looks reeeeeealy interesting. You're doing great, Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  5:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Been a while since I've stopped by... but boy oh boy... this printed frame project looks reeeeeealy interesting. You're doing great, Bob.

Glad you're back. Thank you for your kind words.
And a boiler is coming too.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  10:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Back...

Well, I retire in about nine months and it's dawned on me that I'd better start getting back in the loops as well as start gathering up parts and supplies I'll need for my Colorado & Pacific theme!

All fer now!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  11:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Bob.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Bob! I'm a bit confused though on how the shaft holder fits in the general design?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  3:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Looking great Bob! I'm a bit confused though on how the shaft holder fits in the general design?

Håkan

When you have the motor mounted in the engine that stop the gear box from rotating on the driver axle. This shaft holder will perform that function and keep the shaft lined up with the motor shaft in the tender. The shaft holder will go into the firebox and when cast in brass, will add some weight. At least more that a small, high speed motor would. And that's my theory.

FRANK, thank you, I appreciate it.

Andre, you'll love retirement, just be sure you don't live longer than your money.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/09/2017 3:11:11 PM

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  11:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the look of that brass frame Bob. What is the hardness of the brass? Brass is an alloy, so there are many variations of hardness that can be chosen for higher detail for cosmetic parts, or harder metal for strength and rigidity.
The brass castings that I have received from Shapeways have so far, seemed to be a harder alloy.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  11:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlairM

I love the look of that brass frame Bob. What is the hardness of the brass? Brass is an alloy, so there are many variations of hardness that can be chosen for higher detail for cosmetic parts, or harder metal for strength and rigidity.
The brass castings that I have received from Shapeways have so far, seemed to be a harder alloy.

Too bad it's going to get painted? This is Shapeways' Brass. They say it's 15% zinc, 5% tin, and 80% copper. It IS hard. Understandably as the vast majority of Shapeways' metal business is for Jewelry. The little cleanup and playing I've done with my test prints suggest that it is very workable.
keep watching.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  2:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! That explains it.

Håkan

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page