Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  8:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike and Frank, Thank you.
I got the frame today and I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a view with the drivers;

The slots came out .110" wide. My tests indicate that after going through the changes that come with the brass casting process these slot will just need a little careful filing for a perfect fit. Here a shot showing the clearance around the cylinders;

I've ordered the brass frame, a 2nd boiler and first cover plate. First boiler is due Wednesday.

Be safe guys

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  06:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, looks you have go ahead. Looking forward to ser how the brass one looks!

Håkan

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  2:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Quite a journey you have been on. Been a pleasure to follow.
ed

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2017 :  01:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I got the boiler back. It failed where Shapeways said it would but it still provided valuable information. Take a look;

First, I'm delighted at how good the curved surfaces look. The Shapeways preview images had me expecting the worst.

This first print showed up several measurement errors such as this one. the boiler should fit down into the firebox side here;

I also didn't leave enough room for the top of the gearbox to get into the Boiler.

Here's the boiler with Precision Scale domes;

and with domes from a PFM Reno;

and next to a Boiler from a Porter Mogul (that needs cleaning up)

It's only make-believe

Yellow signal
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/06/2017 :  07:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Bob, it seems you've made a winner!
Very cool!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Ngineer

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2017 :  07:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Erik and Mike. The learning curve continues. This time Shapeways threw me a curve again. This time on printing the frame in brass. I left a space between the right and left axle bearings. On the third axle this created a cavity over the third axles in the firebox/ashpan section of the model. This area would of filled with plaster when they made the mold for the casting and then they wouldn't be able to get the plaster out of the brass casting. While that would not a problem from my prospective Shapeways didn't want to leave any plaster on the inside of the casting. They wanted me to add escape hole so thy could get the plaster out. As the holes would ruin the surface of the bearing I elected to just close the space between the bearings and close the cavity so that it would become solid brass. The new design got pass Shapeways' computer and I'm now waiting to hear if it gets by their people. It's OK guys. I'm still having fun.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been following along. Interesting problems and solutions. I'll really be interested when you get to powering the engine.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you are still having fun it's all ok, I guess.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solid brass adds a bit more weight, and That's A Good Thing (although probably not the most cost-effective way to add that small bit of weight.) This continues to be fascinating to read, looking forward to seeing the brass parts (separately, and then assembled.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, I think you're on the right track.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  4:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Dave, frank, Thank you, I appreciate the back up. Dave, the cavity is so small-the added weight is so minimal that it really isn't an import factor except in doing whatever makes Shapeways happy so that I can get the frame printed.

Mike, Shapeways makes Jewelry and trinkets in brass up to this point. My frame is a lot more fancy than the what others have done up to this point and although miniature, it is a machine. In all humility I believe I am exploring new ground so I shouldn't be surprised if they don't understand what I'm trying to do or how to serve me. It does get frustrating however. So is breaking a drill bit or losing a N/B casting for that matter. But, the process is working I hope (as I wait to see if the revised frame gets past the inspectors.

It's only make-believe

rrjohn46
New Hire

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  10:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I agree, you are indeed exploring new ground. And I think filling the gap between the half bearings is a good thing on its own. It will give a better bearing surface and likely help the axle to run more true. In fact, if you make another frame I would suggest filling the gap on all the axle bearings, even the geared axle if you have access to a mill to open up clearance for the gearbox.

John Bopp

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, I really appreciate your support and the seconding of my mechanical opinions. I left a 1/8"gap between bearings on the first/lead axle and about 1/16" on both sides of the gearbox for the middle axle. After several revisions I got a email this morning that my frame had made it past the Human inspectors and is now in the hands of the production team. So maybe, in a week or so I'll have a brass frame.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  12:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look what I got in the mail.
the second Boiler. This one isn't holly;

another view, also showing the boiler, front cover plate and last test frame;

notice that the frame also demonstrates why FUD can't be used on the final model. It brakes easily. The brass frame is printing now.
Your thoughts are needed please.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000