Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  12:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, John, Good points and I thank you for the information. British practice is very interesting. I'm borrowing a lot from their practices.
I really appreciate the input guys thank you.

It's only make-believe

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  3:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One further thing to add on the axle journal bearings. I think the brass alloy they cast these parts in is fairly hard, which works to the benefit of less wear and bending of the parts.

How did your test sample file? I was drilling and tapping some brass parts I had printed and I had to frequently back the tap out, fully clear it and keep it oiled to cut well.

Blair

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  5:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blair,
Thanks for the observation and the tapping advice. I've been so focused on shrinkage and sizing issues that I haven't investigated the machining caricature of the brass. That's some thing I need to look at. THanks

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  6:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boiler looks great Bob! Also some great advice you are receiving.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I'm looking forward to the next step.

I've been tempted to buy one of the British locomotive kits as a learning experience. I read their magazines regularly.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

rrjohn46
New Hire

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  8:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, The boiler is looking good! How do you think it will be for roundness? I ask because I have seen drawings where the program renders circles as polygons.

John Bopp

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  10:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Mike and John, Thank you for your kind words. I like the way the boiler is looking too. So I tried to order a test print of it in FUD. Shapeways' computers weren't impressed. Several repair attempts later and it's still a no go. They say the taper sections walls (I drew an inner and outer wall) are too thin and that the segments (I increased the segments of my circles to 120 so the boilers will look round) of the taper section are not sticking together(?). So despite my efforts Shapeways' computer continues to do wierd things to my drawing. I asked them to print it anyways, we'll see what happens.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, what programs are you using to prepare the model to upload to Shapeways?
There probably are many ways but I use Meshlab and Netfabb as links. I import a .dae file from
Sketchup into Meshlab and then export it as .stl. I then open the file in Netfabb where I use their repair function.
I then scale the model and export it again as .stl. That file I then upload to Shapeways. Netfabb usually fixed all
"leaks" so it goes through Shapeways checks.

Here is a tutorial:
https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_netfabb

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  5:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, Same route but I was using accutrans. I just got Netfabb today and I'm trying to use it but it just got me frustrated.
Thank you for the tutorial I will check it out after I calm a bit.

Thanks again

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  10:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I was finally able to upload a boiler to get past Shapeways' computer checks. Still waiting to hear if their people pass it.
2nd, I got another frame back. this one I enlaraged so that all the driver s can keep their flangs. See;

and the boiler to still fits and looks good doing it. The Axle slot also got enlarged so I have to adjust them. I was going to have to do that anyway to allow for the Brass casting changes.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Looks like success to me. Good luck on the boiler.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

rrjohn46
New Hire

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  4:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Does this mean you have decided not to make the center drivers blind?

John Bopp

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  6:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, Yes, I'm not going to blind the center driver. I'm waiting for a final test frame to arrive (due Monday). If it checks out I'll order it in brass.
I had real trouble with the boiler. Shapeways' computers didn't read the taper portion of the boiler right. They read the inner wall and the outer wall as two separate walls instead as the inside and out side of the same wall. I had them print it anyway. The results are due Wednesday. In the mean while I think I've solved that problem and if the boiler is the correct size I'll order a 2nd test print of the boiler. So progress is being made. I hope to have pictures to share tomorrow.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  7:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the "final test" of your frame and how the boiler turned out. Interesting problem with the boiler.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  08:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Full steam ahead Bob.

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000