Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's more information on the effects of the Shapeways' brass print/cast process and the resulting product.

Notice the outside dimensions of the brass piece is smaller while the inside dimensions are larger. The shrinkage of the outside will be beneficial and the inside enlargement will be easily compensated for (I hope).
The dimension of the internal brass piece shoud be .179 NOT 199
My progress to date;

I still have some floating rivets I need to ground on the firebox side.

Edit; Kris,Erik and Frederic, I made two posts the first was directed at you gentlemen but the posts got split on two pages. Please don't miss them.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/16/2017 1:02:04 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  4:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After adding the springs and checking and re-checking to make sure everything is in size and that I don't have any floating details, this is my final (I hope);

Now if I can get it to pass Shapeways' requirements I will print one.
The first one will be in FUD and used to check that everything fits.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

That looks great. Is there some kind of software tool that will check for floating details and inconsistencies?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  11:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,
There are software tools available. The free one I choose was way old programming and was oversensitive. It was more frustrating than helpful. Carefully and close examination of your drawing is the best defense. Once you get the drawing upload to Shapeways you get to use their much better programs to find the defects. Some their programming fixed some and some I had to do. Any of you experienced printers out, feel free to recommend software. After I added the springs Sketchup had difficulty scaling my drawings to HO and kept crashing.I had upload full size drawings to Shapeways and use their scaling tools to get it HO. If the FUD checks out printing the brass should too as my drawings has also passed the computer tests for that material too. Now let's see what the human checks say.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea!!!! The frame got pass Shapeways' human inspectors. Now let's see what I get back.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Bob. What's the price in FUD for this rather involved part? Can you also tell us about its global size?
About floating parts and inconsistencies, there are a few pages on eTraxx' website that explain how to use two programs (meshlab and netFabb basic) to correct most of them. I'll try to find the link but everybody may feel free to post it...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  5:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic,
FUD frame is 17.54 plus shipping. The brass will be about 65. if the FUD checks out. This frame is in HO.
It's 9x1.474x2.444 cm has a material volume of 3.5543 cm3. I will try and hunt down Ed' web page. I use Meshlab to turn Sketchup's file to STL format for Shapeways. I used Accutrans 3D to try and check my drawing but it doesn't work well for me. I'll look into netFabb.
Thanks

It's only make-believe

Seca River Matt
New Hire

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Watching with interest to see how you get on with the 3d printed frame - it's given me an idea for how to do a rebuild/remotor.

Thanks!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  4:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Bob. I've been quietly watching in amazement here. This stuff is over my head, but I'm fascinated and at the same time, mystified.

But well done! Keep-a-goin!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Since I like AutoCAD any of this drawing stuff is interesting but I've never tried 3-D so it's out there for me.

You're having the test one printed in FUD and the final one in brass, who does that?

I ordered an HO part printed in FUD and the print layers were so noticeable I tried sanding them off but then I lost the small details. Is there a material of higher finish than FUD?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/22/2017 10:01:13 AM

Yellow signal
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  12:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Since I like AutoCAD any of this drawing stuff is interesting but I've never tried 3-D so it's out there for me.

You're having the test one printed in FUD and the final one in brass, who does that?

I ordered an HO part printed in FUD and the print layers were so noticeable I tried sanding them off but then I lost the small details. Is there a material of higher finish than FUD?

If you're familiar with Autocad I'd say give 3D a try. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Well, it's hard, but when you've mastered Autocad in 2D, I think you'll do fine in 3D.

Brass is one of the materials Shapeways offers.

Shapeways offers Frosted Extreme Detail, which has thinner layers than FUD. If layering is too noticeable try sending Shapeways an e-mail. They might just re-print your part. Besides, they have a money back guarantee.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Ngineer

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow signal

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

If you're familiar with Autocad I'd say give 3D a try. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Well, it's hard, but when you've mastered Autocad in 2D, I think you'll do fine in 3D.

Brass is one of the materials Shapeways offers.

Shapeways offers Frosted Extreme Detail, which has thinner layers than FUD. If layering is too noticeable try sending Shapeways an e-mail. They might just re-print your part. Besides, they have a money back guarantee.

I would add that with careful drawing that FUD is an extremely useful material, A lot of fine products have been built with FUD. Browse the HO and N scale products that are available on Shapewayes. You have to keep your triangles small and use the edge softening software tools that are available (and that I'm still learning about).
Shapewayes offers Brass, They 3D print your model in wax and the use traditional lost wax casting to make a brass model.You loose quality and there is changes in size. So you have to adjust your drawing to deal with these, These changes are why I had test models done in brass, So I can predict (I hope) a final product that will be within the necessary tolerances needed for smooth operation.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  3:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now if I can get it to pass Shapeways' requirements I will print one. The first one will be in FUD and used to check that everything fits. Bob Harris

Bob, Is here any need to allow/compensate for shrinkage of the brass casting. I don't know much at all about any casting, except that molds have to be a bit bigger for some materials because they shrink when cooled or cured. Will the FUD piece be close enough to use as a check on the brass casting?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Now if I can get it to pass Shapeways' requirements I will print one. The first one will be in FUD and used to check that everything fits. Bob Harris

Bob, Is here any need to allow/compensate for shrinkage of the brass casting. I don't know much at all about any casting, except that molds have to be a bit bigger for some materials because they shrink when cooled or cured. Will the FUD piece be close enough to use as a check on the brass casting?

Yes. See my post at the top of this page. In the mail right now is the 2nd test were I attempted to adjust for the changes. The exterior shrinkage is no problem but the internal enlargement is because it means the axle slots will be to big for smooth operation.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  5:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thanks for the explanation vis--vis how the brass castings are made. I knew I was missing something.

Sincerely,
Dazed and Confused
(Mike)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000