Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  9:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcomed Mike. I found this electrifying, I guess nobody else did.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  6:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on the walkway for my last trestle. As she's long and narrow it's been hard to take good in progress shots of the build. So, here is one of her done and on the trestle;

The approaches to this walkway will have to wait until I get the basic scenery in.
After the challenge build I plan to detail a couple of engines and practicing some scenery techniques to make sure of what I want and how to obtain it.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool, Bob. I don't remember ever seeing something like that walkway, although I suppose I have.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, I got the ideal for the walkway from the Virginia and Truckee who used one on their Crown Point Trestle.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 01/11/2017 11:45:34 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Bob!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you Bill, Your comment is appreciated.

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect walkways below track level were a practical gesture to keep local pedestrians out of the way of trains.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool walkway bridge!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carl,I appreciate your comment.

James, I've only seen a walkway like this once. The other trestles on the V&T did not have them. Crown point was in the middle of Gold Hill Nev. and beneath the trestle was Yellow Jacket mine and housing. There was much pedestrian traffic with the trestle providing a short cut that could not be ignored. Have you ever walked across an open deck trestle? It's not for the faint of heart. When my scene here is done it will make better sense of why the walkway belongs here.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Bob! A real eyecatcher.

Looking forward to seeing the landscape around it take shape.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  12:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Nice work Bob! A real eyecatcher.

Looking forward to seeing the landscape around it take shape.

Håkan

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I'm looking forward to seeing the landscape develop too. I already have two or three alternatives in mind but I think Anton will be walking first. I'm currently working on the engine service faculties for Coos Bay as part of the challenge. Next will be some engine work, detailing a Bachmann into a Reno clone. Other engine projects will follow with some scenery projects being worked on. On April 30 I will work my last shift and enter retirement. While I do plan to be very active in community service projects, I'll will have a lot more time for the Hobby so progress should accelerate a bit.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, the walkway is interesting I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On April 30 I will work my last shift and enter retirement

Hooray for you Bob!

I am also retiring, my last day is June 30! I think we deserve it...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  01:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

[i] I think we deserve it...

I do too...

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  02:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While most of my hobby time is going into the Sand House I'm building for the challenge I had a little time to work on developing my passenger car fleet. Model Die Casting made some kits for early passengers cars. They made shorty cars which are just too short and longer 50' cars that had nice bodies but the roof had real issues with a hump down the clear story and ends that don't match any prototype I'm aware of. However with the advent of 3d printing replacement roofs for these cars are now available from EIGHT-Wheeler Models at
https://www.shapeways.com/product/7JATT57G4/roof-for-ho-1-87-mdc-roundhouse-overland-pass-car?optionId=57412838

and Austin Rail Products at
https://www.shapeways.com/product/2QUYMV7GG/mdc-overland-roof-ho-1-87-plain?optionId=60909197

Here's how they look on the cars;

The car on the left hosts Eight-Wheeler's roof. It's ends matches the roof used on the Dayton. This car will fit right in to my Boat train (Twice a week train timed to meet the steamer in Coos Bay) while the one one the right sports the Austin's roof and this car will be used in ether my Summer or Winter Daily "Express" train.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000