Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  6:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SWEET! Enjoy watching this scene come together.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  01:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Mike, Bruce and Cris, Thank you very much.
having her run again is a very good feeling. Added the "Micky" Cars to the train today and worked on the necessary adjustments to the trouble spots.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  8:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
progress is being made. The "Mickey" cars are rolling along with out complaint and the staging yard is coming along.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Nice seeing some track laying going on. I've been doing some lately also. Maybe if we both work like mad our railroads will meet somewhere in Utah.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  12:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAY MIKE!! That's a great idea. Maybe we could get the Government to loan us some interest free money or some free land we can sell after we harvest any valuable minerals or timber that might be on it. Oh I got an idea! We could startup a construction company and hire our self to do the work, for a reasonable fee, of course.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  6:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work does continue on my staging/fiddle yard. All the track is in and wired (my favorite thing to do.) Here's some pictures.
The throat;

This assent from the yard to the main is the ruling grade. Purposely used so that if the engine(s)can get the train out of the yard they won't stall out on the main.
Here's an over view;

And because the right side of the picture got burned out by the shop lights, here's the main yard;

From left to right. Track 1 is where the passenger train will be parked overnight. Track 2&4 is a work/arrival/departure track as needed. Track 3 is for freight car storage of fiddling in/out as needed to represent the rest of the world.

Usually when it comes to track support I only worry about function since it will all be covered by scenery. This yard will not have scenery so I tried to finish it better.
The turntable is a 25+years old atlas turntable. I tried to find out if it was DCC ready and if I would need an auto reverse circuit board for it. The web gave me conflicting information so I just went for it.
And it works. At one point the engine light blinks where the engine changes the "polarity" which I think tells me that the engine's sound would cut off briefly too. But the turntable's screaming motor is the only thing I can hear when it's running. I going to have to build a housing to cut the scream down from the turntable motor.
At this point I need to add servos to the turnout which with the Team Valley electronics are on the next boat from San Francisco.
One more picture. Making sure the Passenger car track is long enough;

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  9:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

That's a beautiful sight, in its own way.

I have one of those turntables also, but no motor.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  11:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of those turntables and the motor but there were two different motors available. The geared motor is the one that screams like a banshee, there is a belt driven version that is quieter though.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Mike and Glen! This turntable might become motor less too if a homosoap case doesn't quiet the banshee to a hum. A little WD40 and about 20 minutes of running and she is better.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  03:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Bob! I'm glad you once again can run around the mainline.
Thanks for the answer on trestle leg supports.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  11:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Great progress Bob! I'm glad you once again can run around the mainline.
Thanks for the answer on trestle leg supports.

Håkan

Thank you Håkan, Very much so. I hope you found my opinions helpful. It feels like everything is falling into place on the railroad. Now all I need is the time to finish my will. May God grant me that.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  01:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Here we go with another update sung in two part harmony" I've been powering the turnouts of my staging yard with inexpensive servos and expensive electronics (not really too bad, $6 per turnout) to control them. If you look at my last posted track plan on page 63 I started in the left corner with Beaver Jct.'s South switch, An Atlas #4 and worked to the right. Next was the turnout ( a #6 of unknown origin )for the logging line. Right now, a 3 foot spur, final plan still in development. These two are standard installs and worked fine. Next, to the right was the junction turnout to the eastern staging yard. letter I'll refer to these three turnouts as the the mainline three. Because of the location of this turnout over a support of the roadbed I had to use another approach to power this Peco turnout. Some pictures;

In the bottom of the above turnout is Turnout #4 a curved Peco. In this photo you can see the other two Peco Small Radius turnouts that make up the yard;

I tried mounting these servos in the traditional way and could not get them to work. I would run the Automatic aliment program that Tam Valley's Octopus III provides and the points would move to their correct positions but the driver would not remember the positions and when I manually tested the turnout I would get just a partial movement of the points. Manually aligning the points produced the same result. Using much heaver wire did not help ether. So I went with plan "B" as seen in the photos. Using this linkage, the driver was able to align the turnouts and they are working super now. I added the Tam Valley decoder to the Octopus III driver. This is how it looks;

This allows me to operate these turnouts with my DCC controller. Nice for making up trains in the staging yard but essential for the mainline three as none of these turnouts can be seen from the operation pit. Of course, though, when I'm running train on the main I need to know what position these turnouts are in to avoid a catastrophic event. So I added indicator lights for the mainline three. Here's a fuzzy picture of one before mounting;

Even this has not gone smoothly. I expected some adjustments to make sure the lights (green for the main,red for the branch) line up correctly but there was a bit more involved. Tam Valley's wiring Stigmatic calls for 330 resistors to be used in series with the LEDs. I went to Radio Shack and bought 3500 resistors by mistake. that was good thing. They worked. The turnouts switched and the lights showed the corresponding change. But I only bought 5 resistors and needed 6 so I went back to Radio Shack and bought some more. This time getting 330's. You got it, they didn't work. With the lights plugged in the turnout would not switch. The lights correctly showed the turnout's position but the turnout wouldn't move. Unplug the lights and the turnout would work again, plug them back in and they correctly showed the turnouts new position. I hope tomorrow to go back to Radio Shack, get some more 3300's and finish this project.
These three pairs of lights will be temporally mounted in a Masonite panel and located where they can be seen from the operators pit until I decided how I want to finish my facial boards. I hope by sharing this "adventure" I can save some of you from experiencing it.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, despite some challenges, you're getting there...Resistance is futile, go with the flow! :)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/13/2016 07:14:02 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bob, despite some challenges, you're getting there...Resistance is futile, go with the flow! :)

Thank you Bill, I appreciate your comment.
Actually resistance is essential here. In fact more resistance was needed to get the flow (of current)moving properly.

Here the temporary panel showing all clear for a train on the main;

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  10:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you for updating us on current events.

Mike

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000