Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  11:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love those scenic pics from your vacation, Bob. Wife and I have Yosemite, Red Wood Forests, Sierra's and such in our vacation "bucket list" once retired in less than two years. Showed her your Yosemite pics as she was wowed!

Nice scene and progress on your layout, too!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  07:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Great job on the trestle. Bridge building seems to be your bent.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  8:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, how bout posting some additional pictures, and I wanted to ask you. Is there a noticeable difference between the eastern side verses the western side of the Sierras?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  01:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys
Adrian, The Mariposa Grove is closed for restoration until the spring of 17. I recommend that you wait tell then at least. Waterfalls are their best in the spring but the Park is packed with people too. I have found early winter right after a snow fall to be the best time to visit. Enough water going over the falls and very few other visitors. However too much snow and they close the Meadows and Glacier Point.

Mike, Thank you and nice pun.

Ted, Basically water and the effects it brings.
The western slopes get most of the rain so less top soil is laid over the rocky soil on the eastern side. So you can still see the ancient Lava flows, cinder cones of very earl times. Stuff like this, The Alhambra Hills;

And Mt. Whitney, the 2nd highest point in North America;

With more top soil on the western side you get more stuff growing and you get views like these from the Meadows;

In this one you can see Half dome from the back side;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  1:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is being made on my trestle. I've built it's base and the 36" of tie stringer. The trestle has 15 bents plus two stone abutments. of the 15 bents 2 are less than a story (16' on my railroad), three are one story, leaving 10 that are 2-2 1/2 stories tall. Now, all thirteen of the one story bents are now built;

I do have to touch up the stain on these.
Enjoy

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  01:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've finished bent building;

and attached them to the trestle deck and test fitted it into placed;

I then took measurements to figured out the stone footing height I need. Here's my work sheet. By carefully studying it you can find the center of the universe or induce insanity. Ether way, fun stuff;

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  06:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good progress Bob.

you can find the center of the universe or induce insanity

As long as you understand your notes, nobody else has to!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  07:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Here's what I think: Bob builds beautiful bents bodaciously.

Looks like you're trying to work out the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.**

Good job, by the way. That scene is going to be another quiet drama for the eyes.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  11:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks guys, Appreciate your comments, glad you understand my self-defacing humor.
Mike, When I was a young'n 6 of 9 was a big part of this hitch hiker's interest but 7 of 9 was more so. But my prime directive is the great "How".

I am having a ball carving Balsa foam into abutments and footings.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

While the Gesso dries thought I would do a little update.
I got all the Grits in and I'm trying to decided how many and where the side braces to add.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  6:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Impressive trestle. Everything is coming together beautifully.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  08:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike! And those abutments look great! On trestles what are your thought on abutments? I'm thinking on in places letting my trestle legs just be piled down into the earth. Guess it depends on the ground conditions?

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 11/11/2016 08:15:59 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  10:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Håkan. I certainly enjoy and appreciate your comments.

Håkan, On Frame trestles Mud Sills were often used for footings. A Beam with the same thickness as the Bent Cap (12X12 in my case) or larger but of course longer was laid apparently on the ground. In actual practice the railroad drove posts down to rock if needed under these Mud Sills but of course these are not seen on our models. What wasn't done, was frame posts driven into the soil. Though sometimes landslides would cover the bottom of the bents.

Abutments too, were often wood. I'm using stone 'cause I like its look.

After I start the laundry, I hope to start putting the footings in place. I got the abutments in yesterday. This trestle too will not be permanently mounted until the scenery is done.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  10:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking trestle Bob. And nice pics.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  12:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, Appreciate your comments.

Here's a quick update.
Normal view;

a little higher to better show the footings

It's only make-believe

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000