Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

That's very dramatic with the trestle passing over the pathway of water flowing from the water wheel. Great job.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely a scene made for the camera....nice job Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  1:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Carl, Thank you for your comments.
I finished the stone work on the mill end;

And here with the trestle laying in place;

The whole trestle from other end;

I just need to add the rail and guard beams to the trestle. Next week I'm off to Carson City, Nev. for the annul meeting of the Virginia and Truckee Historical Society and to spend a couple of days in Yosemite. While in the Sierras I hope to get a idea or two of how to handle the backdrop on this end of the trestle.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

Enjoy your trip, and good hunting (for ideas).

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  01:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Horse, I'm really looking forward to it.
I got a little more done on the trestle. I closed the the holes around the walls and the abutment.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  01:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I like the complexity of the stonework. It implies a lot of history of rebuilds and modifications. If I recall correctly, that's what you are after; in any case, it's a success.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Mike, that rebuilt, added too and needing a little attention look is exactly what I was going for.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  2:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm home now after a wonderful 6 days of vacation. I started by exploring the eastern Sierra along Hwy 395. 395 is a must drive if you enjoy geography. Wonder after wonder in quick repetition. On this trip I started in the Alhambra Hill behind Independence, Ca. and also stopped at Devil's Post pile NP.
I then enjoyed 2 1/2 days at the Conference of the Virginia and Truckee Historical Society where I benefited from the presentations on on History of the region, the V&T and of course on how to model them.
To end the trip I entered Yosemite from the east through the meadows and spent the next two day in that park.
Here are a few highlighs. I took 323 pictures.

An Idea for behind my trestle (cut the cliff from behind it);

I also stopped in Dayton Nv. and found another Barn that will be a perfect addition to my slough

I'm out of time now but I want to share the exciting developments in 3d printing.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Bob, beautiful stuff from your trip!

Thanks for posting!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  7:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You take a good photo. Beautiful scenery and geology.

Yes, that barn looks like an excellent candidate for your slough.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  11:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic pictures Bob! Must ask you when visiting the Yosemite are you trekking with gear and tent of is it possible to visit by car?

Some of the panoramic shots could perhaps come in use for making additions to the background?

The scene behind the bridge certainly would look good. Great to have the photo as reference.

The barn is very modelgenic. Beautiful weathered wood.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  01:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,Mike and Hagan, Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Hagan, I did some day hikes but all the shots I shared were taken a few steps from the car.

Here's two more from the eastern entrance, still on the eastern slope of the Sierras. Look at all the shades of colors just in the rocks;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, back to modeling, I finished my trestle. (except for safety railing around the escapes which will have to wait for the scenery);

And here with a train ran out on to it;

Not even these touchy cars are having a problem with the new track.
Now my trains can go 15' that way and 15"the other way from the main yard and I have one industry that can be switched. This leaves one trestle to be built and and the loop will be complete. This trestle was 20", the next will be about 36". I'm starting on it now.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 10/18/2016 5:55:20 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The surveyors have made their measurements and the graders have laid the approaches. Final alignment will come later but here is the where the big trestle (the black line) will cross Arroyo Grande.

It's only make-believe

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  8:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos of your trip Bob'..That sure is beautiful terrain. And a great modeling exercise to replicate'..

Ted

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000