Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  4:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stone work for your bridge looks to be coming along well. I was kind of wondering which density of foam you obtained? From the look of the 'dust' from the carving exercise, I'm guessing that it's the high density or Balsa Foam II, but I'm not sure, thus the question.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about coloring the foam, so I'll be keeping a close eye on your thread.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 09/19/2016 5:00:45 PM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  10:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I too think that not having the trestle in the way would help getting the water in. That is a long trestle but then you are having all that seashore tidal areas to cross. If I understand right your area has a fairly high tide change? Oregon? I don't remember that much change up in Washington at Grays Harbour. Spent a lot of summers in Westport, WA. growing up.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  12:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil, Yes I have decided that gravity and a few rail spikes will suffice until I get the water in. About the tides; I don't know if Coos Bay get any extreme tides. I do know that both Coos Bay and Coquile Valley have frequent flooding problems. The valley has the most extreme problem because of spring run off gets dammed up by the twists and turns of the river between Coquile and the sea.

Kris,
The label just says "Soft" on my Balsa Foam.

This is what I've done on coloring so far.
These are the colors I've used;

Notice that I didn't use the "real" Gesso for the Art Supplies aisle. After the Gesso I washed the walls with A&I. Each of these next pictures I let the paint coat dry before taking the picture. Each color was put on with a haft wet brush, then diluted on the wall and dabbed with a paper towel to remove most of the paint. I did it this way instead of just mixing washes because of the way this medium absorbs paint. Let see if it works. The first color was the Sky Gray;

Then a darker grey.

Now on the left side you see a large wall and above it a small piece and then two other pieces. The two other pieces are plaster. These pieces will go together to form the Mills Race. As the Mill is older than the railroad I want these pieces to look right together but different for the newer trestle footings so I treated them different. After treating all walls with the Burnt umber the ones on the left also got darken with black;

What do you think do these match?

And then Yellow orchid

Now as I work on the approaches to the trestle I'll be watching to see how much these colors fade as they are absorbed into the foam.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Your abutments look old and all worn. I assume you want that aged appearance. They are turning out nice.

Being low and straight, your trestle, it seems, could be removable as suggested.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a good article on building and locating a trestle in this month's (October) issue of RMC.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  5:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I thought all rocks were old compare to us humans.

Dave, What are you trying to tell me there buddy? Is There something I've missed?

Here's the trail race wall in place;

The stone abutment and probably some more retaining walls have to go in above this wall.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  5:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No particularly amazing trick in that article in RMC, but it's always interesting to read how someone else tackles a similar problem.

dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  6:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like how that scene is coming together Bob!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Bob. Your very impressive stonework looks like the real thing.

Rocks are indeed as old as the hills. Older, actually.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking rock work! I too, think the scene is shaping up nicely.

What is "Balsa Foam", and where to get it?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  12:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carl, Mike and Andre, I appreciate the support.

Andre, Balsa Foam is available in small blocks- 8x11, 1" thick at better art supply stores. I got mine online from OMNI Hobbies. It comes in two densities, I got the soft. Large sheets are available but I hear Hollywood gets most of those. It's like working with butter. I used a dental tool and a pencil to carve my stones. I Cut it to size with a utility knife or a razor saw when it had to be accurate. It's really easy to use.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/21/2016 12:34:34 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's two hardnesses of Balsa Foam. Which are you using, Bob?

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  2:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

There's two hardnesses of Balsa Foam. Which are you using, Bob?

dave

I'm using the soft one.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  10:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob... I'll have to check into that when the time arrives that I could use some stone work.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  10:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little progress,
The trestle needs cross sway braces yet but I footings in. The Mill side;

the other end. I made a bad measurement on one of my footings an d had to carve another one. I also added a retaining wall along one river bank. I'll color theses in place;

In this view with the trestle removed you can see the added retaining walls (one new and one a repuposed footing that was too short). also compare this view with the one done in my last post. I haven't notice any lost in color yet;

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/26/2016 10:22:08 PM

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 3.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000