Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the mill switch will be a stub switch. I am about to start working on my first stub switch.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  12:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,Dave.

Dave, I cheat. I used frogs that I picked up on Ebay for about 1.50 each. I think build sub turnouts is easier because you don' have to shape the points or in dent the rails for them to go into.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  3:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second that, nice to see you're making progress. The wiring looks absolutely U/L approved, nice going Bob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  6:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you for showing us the track plan and overall photos. And there's the slaughterhouse! one of the most amazing plan-as-you-build structures I've seen. It has even more mass sitting on your layout, which is appropriate. When you were building it I liked how it kept getting larger and larger.

You've inspired me to work on benchwork this evening. I picked up a bunch of lumber on the way home from work today. If I don't get moving faster I'll need to borrow that can I see front and center in your layout: Goof Off.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  05:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, it made all the pieces fit together. There are some great scenes in the making. Especially the one at the mill.

Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  07:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Bob, you've got a lot going on there!

Somehow I missed your track plan, thanks for posting that.

Plenty to keep you busy....

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frank, Mike, Håkan and Carl. I do appreciate, need the encouragement.
Mike, Especially thank you for kind remarks on my slaughter house. I am glad I might have motivated you to work on your own layout.
Carl, My track plans like most of my projects has been modified as the project progressed. If you compare this latest version with the early ones that you can find in the first pages of this tread you will see quite an evolution. I hope to be very busy for quite a while on this. I plan to retire this April. I hope to have all track work done by December and the basic scenery in the hard to reach zone done by April so after I retire I can start detailing the scenes and the Main Stars, the steam engines. If God Wills, I'll have the whole thing finished a few days before I die.

Thanks again Guys

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  1:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I'm back on line (modem died) let me catch you all up on my progress.
The new turnout;

with the spur to the mill;

Look at this great planning and engineering! Look how close the clearance is! Yes, I was lucky;

And here's the switch after tweeking and adjusting but working even for the "Micky" cars;

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  5:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Looks good. You could always claim that the close clearance was the result of really good planning.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  12:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. Yea, that it, good planning.

I'm working on the trestle over Mill creek.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing trestle work and I temporally put it in place so I could measure how high I need to make the stone footings and liking how things are shaping up thought i would share a picture for comments and your encouragement;

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  9:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good! Will the bridge be removable from the trestle footers, or will you need to pour the water around the installed bridge?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Great scene. I like the variety of textures and angles. Good composition.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  01:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, I do appreciate your comments.

Dave, I'm glad you asked, that's a good question. I was planning to firmly glue the trestle to the footings but you have me thinking otherwise now. As it would be a lot easier to build up and finish the scenery and then dab (not pour as I plan to use Modge Podge) the water in without the bridge actually there. It will be a little harder to build the trestle but it will be worth it in the end.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  3:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started work of the footings using a new to me product, Balsa foam, which Kris introduce us to in the building of his ore mill. Here the footings are ready for the Gesso;

The foam was easy to cut to size and carve (and is orange not brown). I see a lot of it being used in my further.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/19/2016 4:04:17 PM

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000