Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting thing done, until the heat drove me out of the garage.
Cleaned the wiring up. This looks better;

and starting installing DCC;

I'm a little confused at this point. Digitrak doesn't provide a separate output for the programing track like others do. They tell you to install a DPDT switch so that you power ether the layout or the programing track. Installing the program track is down the road yet but if you do it as they want then you won't be able to use the programing track as a layout track.

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, if you look on page 15 of my thread you can see how I did my program track. Made it so that it folded up out of way when I don't need it.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  11:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Bob, if you look on page 15 of my thread you can see how I did my program track. Made it so that it folded up out of way when I don't need it.

Thanks Phil, Good idea

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that these latest pictures are exactly pretty or represent fine modeling but they do represent a lot of work. Here is where I stood last night. About 1/2 of the track is down. What is down is wired. That includes all frogs. All turnouts are powered and working. And I have thrown together a temporary control panel to suffice until the rest of the track work is in and I can build a pretty one. And, the DCC throttle is wired in. Hopefully I will be able to clean up the layout of tools and debris and then clean the track and I hope to be running trains.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  4:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a ruff Video;

https://youtu.be/lIAAe0IOcPs

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  11:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, it won't hurt my feeling to tell me how that Video sucks.

DCC learning curve. Early in my research into what was involved in moving from DC to DCC I read somewhere that if a layout worked on DC it would work on DCC. I was testing my turnouts and they were working fine. Then I wired in the DCC and started running an engine and even a short train around the yard then I hit the tail switch and heard the beeping of the Command Station that tells me I had a short. The tail end turnout can't be seen unless you go outside normal viewing angles so I used one of my code 70 Shinohara from the old layout and now I know what DCC friendly is and isn't.
After reviewing Allans Cartner's "Wiring for DCC" excellent site this is how I made my old turnout DCC friendly;

As you can see I isolated the frog from the closing rails and points. Removed the rivets from the hinge joints, replaced them with rail joiners and added two PC ties. One under the new rail joint to transfer power from the outside rails to the closer rails and points. And I replaced the throw arm with a PC tie to isolates the two point rails. I took some tweaking to get the turnout switching smoothly.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  04:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first saw the video today and I think it shows great how the turnout works. I saw the loco make a little dip midway through. Perhaps a small piece of styrene to let the wheel flange ride on through the gap will help.

The DCC wiring looks great. Much better then mine.

Håkan

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  07:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking , how about making the three way switch mechanism as a 3D printer project ?

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 08/09/2016 07:20:13 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan, I'm still working the bugs out but, they do work.
This is the next project. I have this nice graded right-of-way that needs track;

I almost got it done today but the trestle needs more spikes holding down the rails on it. Sadly this section of rails will remain isolated until I can build two trestles. But, because this track is the hardest to reach I wanted to do it first. Next will be the tracks of Beaver JCT.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, thanks for the idea. I don't think a 3d print would of helped. Everything was easily cobbled with traditional materials.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  02:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was my Saturday and I seemed to get a lot done.

Here we see one of my Bachmann Americans pushing the "don't like anything" cars over the new main. The foreground foam was removed will the this work was done.

This section is isolated from the rest of the main for right now. I need to build two trestles.

The flour mill finally got rails on her ties;

And started building the Mill's turnout;

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/16/2016 02:47:00 AM

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  6:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress!

Looking quite nice there, Mr. Bob!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  1:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Bob!
It would be great to have a overview photo. I'm a bit confused to the placement of the various elements.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  04:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. Let me give you an overview of my plans.
This is my current track plan. The tack that is in is in Black, The track in blue needs to go in yet (I couldn't the turnouts to print blue) and the two bridges that I need to build are in green.

So here's some views from the access hatch;

On the right is Coos Bay Yard and the trestle over Millers Slough to the Mill on the Left. Beaver Jct. is behind the mill.

Here the Mill is on the right and the track is working upgrade.

Here is the same view as I posted yesterday with the land forms and slaughter house in place.

and the first trestle will go here;

and the big trestle above the yard in the place of the sectional track seen here;

I hope that this helps put the pieces together.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of progress, looking good, Bob.

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000