Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  3:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bob! And that decal will really set of the roof.
I also have had my thoughts on it but as my other cars lack it I thought it would make the other ones look strange

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  3:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For "Make Believe," this is coming across as incredible!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  01:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Dave thank you.

Håkan That's the advantage I have starting with your kit as I build my passenger cars fleet. I'm setting the standard high. We view our layouts from a high perspective. We see a lot more of roofs on our models than when we rail fan. My '0"' is 52" above the floor and still I see a lot of roof so I feel roof detail is very important and often over looked. My other cars will have simpler pen stripping but I want them all to show tin roofing. Stay tuned for other details.

Dave, Thanks again, I want viewers of my work to think it could of been but not something they would find in the rabbit hole that Lewis Carrol sent Alice down.

Thanks again

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I have enjoyed sitting back and watching you build this beautiful model. Not sure the exercise would be as much fun if I were building it myself. You're doing a fine job and I'm interested to see how the roof turns out.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I'm glad you're enjoying my ride. It is fun and the results are looking good IMH(aughty)O.

Here's a little up date. I'm still snugging down the roof decals. I printed these myself with the artwork that John Ott gave me. (Thanks again John)
My decal film is much thicker than the quality stuff that Hagan's vendor uses, so these have to soak about two minutes (Hagan's about 10 sec's) before they slide off the backing. And then it takes a lot more application of decal set to get the air pockets out. So I have more work yet on the roof decals but I couldn't resit the urge to place the pieces together temporally to see how they work. Also you will note that because of Hagan's excellent customer support the "alace" car is now a Palace car and the other oops have been repaired. I know, shut up and post the picture;

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  6:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

That is fabulous work on that passenger car! "Master Craftsman" stuff, there bub!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2016 :  01:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Andre,
If I stand tall it is because I stand on Giants.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2016 :  05:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very very nice Bob! And I must contemplate doing something with my roofs.

Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2016 :  07:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She's a beauty Bob. Well done!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  12:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Carl.

And Thank you Hagan. Your beautiful passenger cars would be just receiving their tiaras.

It's only make-believe

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are a craftsman Bob. The tedious work in building this car and applying decals just blows me away. WOW!!!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

The combination of fancy paintwork on the sides and the decals on the roof give your Pullman an appropriately archaic look. Very Victorian, as though the decorators didn't know when to stop.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  10:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Mike, Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate them. Mike, That's why I love this era.

Today I finished adding the details to the roof and covered everything with a coat of Matt varnish. Here's one showing the roof;
and setting the pieces together;

All the decals look better now that they are sealed with the clear coat. I chose to use a Matt rather than a Satin finish to give a little scaling. I found a locale source for canopy glue so tomorrow will start on the window glazing, applying decals for the frosted glass but first the screening for the clerestory. Then all there is a mock interior and final assembly.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  4:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I found those needle dropper bottles (e.g. A-West or the ones that some people have found at craft stores) to be really useful when used with Canopy Glue for windows.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Gorgeous work.

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000