Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  01:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And today's work;

This time I cut out the Belt band and the letter board out of the sheet so they won't get damaged as I cut out the "key hole" patterns for between the windows

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  08:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They must have had a steady hand!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is more elaborate than the 'lining' applied to restored street cars in pre-WWI schemes, but the work is still being done.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  11:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do have a steady hands and know how to get the most out of them. I had the opportunity to visit with one of the gentlemen who helps restore the car lining for the Nevada State Railroad Museum. He does beautiful work and loved to share his methods. He of course was painting on linens which is a whole different animal. Just watching him work was a joy. I find myself a little envious of such talent but always extremely respectful of the discipline and work it much of took to develop it.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  01:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the first side I tried to applied the belt bar decal in one piece. It was a disaster and I destroyed the decal. This time I cut the belt rail decal into eight pieces I started in the center first and then both ends. I cut on one side of the scroll work so that I would just have to match the double lines of the next piece to the scroll work. The last piece on both side was a section of double lines. The edge on the etched belt rail aided greatly in keeping it straight.
This mornings progress;

And how about a close up?

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  5:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except for some repairs the major step of applying the decals. Here's one side;

As you can see, I lost one of the "key hole" shaped designs (it wrapped around the tweezers and I couldn't save it) and the "P" from Palace Car(one moment it was in the water and the next when I moved it to the car...gone!, I know not where). And here's the other side finished today;

Even with the missing belt rail decal this side looks good. In fact they both look good. This car will be the crown of my fleet and serve as the benchmark for the detailing on all my passenger cars. None of them will be anywhere as elegant but they'll be able to stand in the same room with dignity.

And this kit is fun. And, well engineered. The decals were well done both in their artwork and their production by Hagan's Third party. Good thing they were or I would of lost a whole bunch more.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  6:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great decal job, it's certainly the crown jewel of the rail fleet.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  7:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Indeed, beautiful work. I stand in awe.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to stand by Mike's statement, but I still need to get off the floor first. Your work has knocked me off my feet.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Bob.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  3:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That elusive decal. Been there done that and its always very very annoying.
Anyhow it looks great Bob! I'm happy you enjoy it. Setting decals is tedious business but in this case it is well worth the effort.

Håkan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  6:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like ithis car definitely will be the gold standard for your fleet. and a high standard it is. Great looking.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  6:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob this car definitely looks like the gold standard for your fleet. Great looking!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody! Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Yesterday's mail brought an emergency relief package from Sweden. Håkan has provided excellent costumer service and provided me the decals I will need to fix all my oppsses. Thank you Håkan! But not just yet. I need a little brake from the decaling and found sanding the roof, applying primer, resand the roof, apply medium gray color, a little more sanding and a final painting with gray a relaxing therapy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the decal work too, I just needed a break. I've also washed the 3D printed details (I think I missed them when I did the big pieces) and the newly arrived trucks from Håkan's Shapeways Shop. Additionally I've worked on the clerestory side adding the vents and painting them the UPS Brown body color. I test fitted them in their place and Surprisingly (NOT) they fit perfectly. I decided to save you all pictures of drying paint.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  2:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Thanks again everybody!
I got a lot done this morning. I painted the trucks and following everybody's advice, very carefully added the wheels. I painted the roof pain gray and sealed it with Vallejo satin varnish. This is a departure from Hagan's instruction because John Otts was super kind and shared his artwork for Tin Roofs seams with me. Thank you John. I have now printed the decal for those seams. I painted the vents and reservoir that goes on the roof Weather Black. Here's a picture.

And yes,next it's back to decal work. Just a little in comparison to what has already been done.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000