Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  12:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys Thank you. I'm hoping they will look better after the flat sealing. These decals have been very difficult for me. Here's today effort;

If I was starting over on this kit I would decal the ends before assembly as adding the decals while supporting the car so that you can get to the ends makes the whole thing more difficult.
As you might notice I'm missing some of the schrod work above the window. These little decals were the hardest and I destroyed three of them and will have to replace them. You can also see that I have to repair one of the window frames too. That should be an easy fix.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hang in there Bob. My days of setting those decals are over.

Do you fully separate the decal from the backing sheet before you position the decal? There’s less material in the way.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  12:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frank, I'm getting better.

Today's effort;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  6:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is being made. At Hagan's recommendation I've started using Badger's Decal Set and I'm getting better result.
The End now;

The detail is showing up much better and once the flat coat is on they should look fine.
Here's how the side is looking;

The decals are suffering from my clumsiness but the car is looking good to me.

I've got to add the decal to the belt line. I'm thinking about it a while first. The letter-board won't be done until I add the roof. At least that's my plan right now.

The other day I got the trucks for the car from Shapeways. They are beautiful looking and well engineered.

Download Attachment: PICT2299.JPG
157.5 KB

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crazy.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  8:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very spiffy!

On those trucks, I've had problems with some Shapeways FUD parts breaking, there's not much "give" to them. Someone suggested soaking them with very thin CA after you clean them (which you Must do) and before you try to pop the wheelsets in them.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  9:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yikes....that's a lotta decaling' ! Not my strong suit.

I'm cheering you on Bob!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  11:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you're winning the battle. What a lot of work!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  12:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys. It seems I'm doing more decals on this one car than the total of the whole of my Railroad. And that's a lot of decals.

Mike, might be winning the battle but tonight I lost the scrummage of the belt way and I'm rather ticked about it.

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  10:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought that I had patience. This is incredible. You must be working on a PhD in Decaling as you for sure have already earned a Masters in the subject/skill.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  12:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kris, I don't know about being a master but I am getting better that for sure. One of the things I've learned is how much you can "refloat" the decals (that is, for a lot more than I thought) and move the decal into position. And when it's in place to let the corner of a paper towel suck the water from under the film.

Here's today progress;

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  04:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shapeways FUD is an acrylic plastic. I haven't tried it, but I'd expect Weld-On acrylic cement could be used for repairs, or bonding bits of styrene on the hidden side to reinforce weak points.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  12:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CA sticks quite nicely for Shapeways FUD.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  6:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

And I thought that I had patience. This is incredible. You must be working on a PhD in Decaling as you for sure have already earned a Masters in the subject/skill.

Hey, I'm all in favor of giving Bob kudos for the decal work ... but let's not forget the guys who hand-painted all that detail on those old cars. Those were definitely some highly-skilled craftsmen!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  12:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Hey, I'm all in favor of giving Bob kudos for the decal work ... but let's not forget the guys who hand-painted all that detail on those old cars. Those were definitely some highly-skilled craftsmen!

And a crew of two doing a car in 3 days!

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000