Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving the Pullman car for a bit I tried building a turnout control for my 3 way stub switches and the test model was success. Here's the test rig.

THE 2MM Aluminum tubing enbeded into the sub-road bed is the key not letting the wire bend other than at the pivot points. This Servo, a cheap HP-A9N from Hobby people with a whole 20 oz of torque can move my stub points two feet of travel. that's twice what my three ways need. Still A lot to do. A servo mounting bracket that will allow the mounting of the micro switches to control the frogs polarity.
I'm really jazzed about this progress.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Quite a switch from the Pullman car, so to speak. Looks good so far.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  8:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, nice looking Pullman car. Not sure where the switch motor is going but "it works" is a good thing.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  12:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I really need to get the layout fully operating.

And , thank you Frank. If you go back to page 12 or so you'll fine me working on my yard throat and learning to build stub turnouts. Everything was proceeding fine but I wasn't happy using hand throws (really ruined the scenes)and I needed to power the frogs with the correct polarity. I was trying to install a modified blue point switch machine when I damaged the main throat turnout. This took the wind out of my sails and I got involved in mill building, cloud painting, etc. and learning new products and techniques. But I'm now ready to get back to it.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  6:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switching again,to the Pullman Car it was time to add the handrails and so some more panting.
I painted the bottom its color, weathered Black. This is Testor's weather black. I painted the platform and the bottom of the steps Straw Color as to the first step to their finish. Here's the floor stuck with two sided tape to a piece of wood to protect the railings during painting;

and here's a clos up of one of the platforms

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Nice neat work you're doing there. Now you have a platform to stand on.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, It is nice to have something to stand on unlike some pol....and I better stop there.

I'm not putting a detailed interior in this car but the windows are large so I do want to suggest one so I painted the interior surfaces to give that illusion. The Floor barn Red and the side raw umber craft acrylics. Some place I have some cheap wood seats that I will paint green and add to the floor.

You might notice that on side pieces that I have cut notice into the flange to make room for the bits of truss rod filament that comes through the flooring. I have decided to wait for Vallejo's Thinner and flow aid to arrive before attempting to air brush the exterior colors. Distilled water would probably work fine but I see no need to take a chance. While I'm waiting for the stuff to arrive maybe I can find those cheap seats.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A limited run kit by Eight Wheel Models (AKA Håkan Nilsson).

I was unaware that he was in the kit business! Interesting.

Looks good from here Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2016 :  12:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl, Thank you for the interest and the encouragement. I appreciate that.
This Kit is Hakan's Second kit. The first was also a fine passenger car but I wasn't able to move fast enough to get one.
He also makes 3d parts available. They can be found on Shapeway by searching for Masonamerican.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress is being made on the car. I'm going through the Learning curve for air brushing Vallejo paints. I felt confident enough to spray on the first coat of color this morning. Will do a second and share some photos later.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  2:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, did an excellent job on designing this kit. I'm really enjoying building it. I started out by braking out my bottle of Floquil Walnut stain and staining the the platform. I should of waited until after painting the ends the car body color. I'm going to have to touch up the platform floors and steps and restrain them.
But before I painted the ends I sandwiched the two piece side together. The instructions says to solder or use epoxy to do this. I used Super glue.
First I lined the two side up and pined them together like so;

Then in each of the squares I dropped a drop of ACC and let capillary action suck up the glue between the two sheets. I also added a drop at the end and in the middle to sucked in from the roof line. And this was the result;

I then paint the body color on the platforms;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I had a platform to stand on, I wasn't happy with it. So I repainted and restained the flooring and painted the handrails. I finished the car ends and added the belt while constantly touching up the paint job. It seems the the Vallejo is not as durable as the finishes of enamel paint. It seems every time I touch the car I have to touch up the paint. The car is ready to assemble the four sides but I'm going to let it bake dry overnight. It's about 85 in the garage.
Oh! pictures;

These pictures were taken under the daylight bulbs without the spotlights I often use as I build so there is less red in the colors.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Those are nice colors you are using on your Pullman. And your pictures turned out good also. I would say you don't need the spotlights.

The digital camera I use is getting a little old and likes a lot of light so I have a photo flood I turn on for picture-taking. My photos would turn out with a yellow cast. I'm working on a clinic for the national NMRA convention and I decided it was time to read the camera instructions and learn how to do a white balance. Boy do I wish I'd done that long ago.

I enjoy watching your modeling. Keep it coming!

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  01:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the support.

I put the four walls together and she's looking like a car now;

I originally used ACC gap filling glue then after making sure the sides were square I reinforced the joints with slow setting epoxy;

Then next day I touched up the paint again and after letting it dry a couple of hours I hit it with a coat of varnish so she is now ready for decals. First I loose fitted the three substructures together for a picture;

Decals are next. Håkan did such an excellent job on the engineering of this kit and has also bee very helpful to me as I build this kit. John Ott, too has been extremely helpful. I hope I'm doing justice to this kit. Looking at that last picture I am kinda pleased with myself.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Soon you'll be traveling in style!

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000