Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  2:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How large was the V&T at the time? IE how many locos, how much rolling stock, and how many miles of trackage, vs how many employees to keep it all running?

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! Very beautiful indeed

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  12:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse, Sorry I took so long to get back to you; The V&T was always a small railroad with lots of up and downs fiscally. Her most prosperous years were her early ones. Too soon the Bonanzas played out and she had to struggle to exist. But still, at her peek she was a small railroad. About 25 engines compared to the Central Pacific's 2000. About 200 cars with most (about 90%)freight originating and delivering online. Her shops had about 35 employees at the peeks.

Håkan, you're welcomed, glad you enjoyed.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob;

As such, she would have been ripe for improvisation. That having been said, it is a great testament to her shopmen, that they retained/restored the paint work to the degree they did.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  1:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse, And improvise they did. I was just exchanging Emails with another friend about how the shops reused timbers and hardware from old flatcars to build a tunnel maintenance car which shows up on the rosters in 1891 for the first time. It was also a testament to it's management that they were determined to keep their class. A far cry for others, who were stripping off brass, painting the engines all black and keeping striping to the absolute minimum at this time.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

Part of the reason that I asked her size, had to do with the maintenance, and retention of the fancy paint, etc, etc.

Small operations can get away with that. Bigger operations, really can't. It is an "Economy of Scale" aspect, IE, when you are big, have hundreds, or even thousands of locomotives, and rolling stock to maintain, as well as miles of right of way, you have to look at solutions to the maintenance requirements of your roster. Small outfits, simply because they don't have the same size of fleets, and have more time to make their roster look pretty, gives them a unique flavor that many modelers love.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse, It most of all depended on the Values of the key managers. Some keep it as new, some wanted to reflect changing taste and fashion in the public and some just wanted to save every penny they could. The larger the operation the more likely they wanted to lower the expenses as much as possible. The reality was that paint and maintaining it and brass were nominal expenses.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a little progress report;
My receiving pens so far;

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  2:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Nice pens.

I find models like fences and pens to be more work than I expect. It seems like it should be a one-evening project but it turns out not to be. Does the same thing happen to you?

Shows a lot of patience.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  3:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Yes, they are a lot more work than I expected. Because they're open sided structures there is no place to hide errors. Lots of restaining and waiting for glue to dry and partial assembly so you can remeasure and adapt the plans to your actual location. Patience building it is. Especially as it is coming at the end of a long project. And I still have to hang the dressed beef on the dock.

And Thank you for the compliment.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added a platform to the end of the ramp;

I just need to add stairs/ladder to this deck. don't know which yet.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  3:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Bob, looks really custom made to fit the location.

Håkan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, just a thought, if you’re short of room for the receiving pens you could extend the fence lines off the edge of the layout to give it the illusion the pens are much bigger.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  12:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Frank, Thank you very much. I really appreciate your visit and comments. Yours too Horse.

Frank, I'm leaving that option open. The Slaughter House sits on the side of the bay and depending on how I set up the docks there might be room for more pens. As it is now the company keep a feed lot in Beaver Jct. and only transfers stock as needed.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  1:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

So, does your schlachthof receive shipments from the water? Be it stock, salt, ice, or whatever?

That would be a pretty cool side show, a dock receiving, and shipping from the schlachthof (German for slaughterhouse).

Horse

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000