Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  4:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps extending it will suffice? Then there will be space for the wagon but no one can move down the stairs. Perhaps also moving the stairs and extend the office platform to the other platform.

Håkan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's coming along nicely, Bob.

I'm a magazine collector and enjoy spending winter evenings going through old issues of MR or Craftsman. Since my focus changes all the time, I'm finding articles that I missed on previous browsings.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  4:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you George for your encouraging words, For me, Magazine and book cruising time is summer days when it's too hot in the garage for working.

And Thank you Håkan for your suggestion on the "Yuk" dock. Here's my solution;

And here in it's setting (I'm trying to tighten the guild lines still on the boiler house's stack);

With a wagon at the dock, there is about a 2' access to the stairway. But honestly when this door is in use I can't imagine anybody wanting to walk by.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  12:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to keep my little people out of the weather, a wider porch;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  1:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever and simple solution for the "Yuk" dock!

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  12:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob;

Your discussion of a "yuk" dock, brings to mind, that you will need a source of water, for washing down the blood, etc on the butchering floor, and a sewer pipe to take it away. Needless to say, you will have a myriad of flies all over the place around the slaughterhouse, and at the sewer pipe outlet.

The sewer water will be a reddish brown, as blood oxidizes to a rusty brown color, fairly quickly, and only remains bright red for a short time.

Sorry about the topic, but it does go with the "yuk" topic.

Also, the goo wagons would be pretty disgusting, and fly infested as well. The dump for the goo would be a couple miles out of town, and well downwind. One possible option, would be coyote, and wolf skins on the wall near the yuk dock, where the goo removal crews display them as trophies of their kills of the scavengers they catch at the goo dump.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Håkan.

Hi Horse,
Thanks for the input. It is a sticky subject. and trust me when I get to it the Goo wagon will be pretty disguising.

Here's two stand in wagons showing that there is plenty of room for the Goo guy and the local butcher to make a pick up.

And now, let me elevate the discussion a bit as I also worked on the roves;

I also added CI to the new roof extension but couldn't get a decent picture of the unpainted metal.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  03:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little painting. A little gluing and;

All I need to do is to build a ladder from the boiler house to the tank deck.
Maybe add the company's name and maybe a advertising billboard on the right side of the Slaughter house's roof. I also need to build the receiving pens.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  09:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  11:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob I’ve been following along watching your build and now that it’s just about complete you created quite a structure for yourself. It’s very interesting. I’m just a little puzzled by the covered stairwell; it seems to overwhelm that side of the building.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that.

Hi Frank, Thanks for following along. Remember this started as a restoration of the Slaughter House, a kitbashed Campbell's slaughter house. The "stairwell" on the left side is actually the incline plane the animals are driven up to start "the process". Many slaughter house did this letting gravity help move the products and by-products. Anyway, as designed by Campbell this ramp stated at the back of the building and ran up the side, dominating the left side. The boiler house and water tank were on the right side where I put my ice house. In it's original location on the layout it sat between tracks and a mountain at the head of my main yard. I felt the ramp's original design would lead the eye towards the back of he building and away from all the interesting stuff on the right side of the building and the rest of layout (the service tracks of the round house). I therefore moved the boiler house and water tank to were they are now and change the ramp to serve its purpose and to lead the eye up and over to the right. I then brought the mountain up all the way to the side of the boiler house. In it's new location, the building is no longer a background structure but a foreground building, this ramp will still serve as a scene divider but now from the shop area, Forcing the eye up and over to the ice house, to the "London bridge" street behind it. My building skills might be secondary but I do put a lot of thought into my models.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain this. I hope I didn't bore anybody.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/06/2015 12:37:52 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  5:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The building is quite imposing in a good way. Will be a real eyecatcher!

Håkan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  7:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK Bob, I thought it was a stairwell not the stairway to heaven.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  7:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the same feeling as Frank there...

I understand it too now. It's the end of the "line"..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  4:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good cows go to heaven?
Or, is it good Cows make heavenly dinners?

Seriously, Thanks for the visits and the participation.

And with this ladder I declare the building DONE.

Though I still have to mount it to a base and build the stock pen

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000