Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More progress done today;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a quick lunch time report. I finished the trusses for the "body" of the the "T";

You can see I added the sub-roof cardboard because as we all know the CI has to be taped to something. The underside was painted Black before it was glued in placed and the top is drying now. You might also noticed tha I aged some of the shingles of the ice house under the overhang. I did this because I think it would age slower since it is covered. The rest of the ice house will be weather after the ice house is attached to the slaughter house so that I can treat both roofs so that while the ice house will look newer they both are enduring the same stimuli of weather.
Here's the view from the bay;

When the sub-roof and CI is up there it will look more like the black portion on the left of the currently building roof. Whereas the camera can't pick up the truss detail the eye can.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/18/2015 3:01:44 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  12:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except for a few touch ups and weathering the ice platform roof is done;

And the bay view

Next is to repair two skylights and a vent or maybe build two stair cases from the ground to the docks.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  12:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  09:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

You are making great progress!

Don't forget the wind break roof on the side.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  2:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike & Horse, Thank you.
No wind brakes here, The coastal hill that make the bay also create a dead zone on this shore, Now on the eastern side of the bay they might be a good idea.

I was given a gift that has taken most of my free time to dispose of but I will have a small update later.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  01:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I was given a gift that has taken most of my free time to dispose of but I will have a small update later.

How intriguing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 08/25/2015 11:17:56 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  03:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sentence about the gift is indeed rather mysterious.
Apart from this, this building is looking very nice, Bob, the kind of intricate structure many of us love to watch and watch.

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

When I said wind break, I was referring to the partial roof over the walkway from the meat loading dock, on the side for protection of the workers from rain, etc.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  5:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, Thank you all for the support. It is most appreciated.

Second, the progress.
The slaughter house has its skylights back;

And there are now steps to the workers/customers walkway;

Notice the new handrail match the old? That wasn't easy. I built this slaughter house over 25 years ago. I was using Floquil Paints almost exclusively. I have many bottles of Floquil squirreled away. Would I have this one? It turned out that It was Penn-Central green that I used on the trim. And I did have a bottle.
Horse, you're right this walkway needs more protection from the elements. I must engineer something.

Third, the "Gift". I have previously mention my friend the picker who occasionally donates to me any HO stuff that he can't sell. That's how I got my CM roundhouse. He dropped off 6 cases of MR and MRC magazines for my enjoyment. I recycle my own collection of magazine years ago after picking out anything I thought I would need and I thought that these too would get a quick trip to the recycle bin. However most of them were for the years I had never owned. So I've had to go through them for any gems before they were recycled. I got about a 1/2" of new material. For example; I only had the first article on the very influential Thatcher's inlet. Now I have all four. And here's another gem. Taken in her last years of running before being displayed in Arcadia and then donated to the Pennsylvanian Museum, the Tahoe.

I'm now working on the vent, lower dock access stairs of the ice house and writing this as paint dries.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/25/2015 5:29:11 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  10:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I always enjoy going through old magazines. When I got back into the hobby in the late 1980's one of the first things I did was to collect MR, RMC and the Gazette. Now I'm wondering what to do with them all

Yes, the Thatchers Inlet series was neat.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  01:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob,

I always enjoy going through old magazines. When I got back into the hobby in the late 1980's one of the first things I did was to collect MR, RMC and the Gazette. Now I'm wondering what to do with them all

Yes, the Thatchers Inlet series was neat.

Mike

I can relate to that Mike. I like seeing how the hobby has evolved over the years. From the way we design track plans to the finer scenery materials we have today. And Yes, for me, not all the changes have been positive but, for me it came down to space and clutter. I still have a few old books to remind me of the Jurassic days.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's have some progress shots;
Overview;

THere a staircase to the lower dock in there. I should of planned this addition better. but I got her in and the Ice deck supports back in so it's good;

I'm now working on the Ice House Vent.
After I Shingle the roof of this vent I will join the two building together and finish laying the ice house roof. I will then weather the ice house roofs to be consistent with the Slaughter houses roofs. I will then turn my attention back to the other side of the building where I will spruce up the boiler house and the ramp leading to oblivion and then put the water tank back on the roof leaving only the pens and a billboard for the right side of the slaughter house's roof.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Bob! It's quite complex. Nice touch with the vents.

I sorted out my magazines years ago. When I was a teenager I had a teacher who was deep into American N scale and had an extensive magazine collection which I managed to acquire. But after several moves I finally sorted out the goodies (earlyrail stuff) and gave away the rest to charity. But I saved one or two old ones. It is like with old books, its a special feeling reading them and I love the smell of them. Beats a reading pad everyday.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2015 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan,
I appreciate your kind words. I too prefer a book to a tablet but, when it comes to research I find a tablet faster at times.

As the structure has grown in size I have started to use a work light to better light the front of the model. This light is not color balanced like the others and is throwing the color off a bit in these photos. But the ice house has been attached to the slaughter house and some work done to the roof. This is my most complicated roof pattern to date;

And I added guild lines to the smoke stack. But I don't know if I like them yet.

For sure, they need some weathering.
This next shot is a study shot for this back dock. I need to redesign it;

You see, It's not really functional as it is now.You really can't just back a wagon up to it squarely. This is the door where all the disgusting "by-products" that can't be burned in the boilers are shipped out. We don't want any of that to spill in front of the offices do we.
I also have to extended the CI roof over the walkway here about two feet.

Download Attachment: PICT2151.JPG
174.56 KB

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000