Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Horse, I appreciate your encouragement.

While I wait for these to dry;

I thought I would review my guidelines on CI roofing for those of you who weren't folowing along when I did the roof on the flour mill's ware house (page 19 or so). In my era and region CI is brand new technology that has been in use about 5 years. I can use it new builds or repairs. Weathering must be light to reflect this. So no chemicals here for me. Further because of our remote location I try to do everything with one length of panel- 6'. This earlier produced, over weathered section still reflects my layout practices.

You can see that I cut the panels from 26-30" in width (these days 28"). In this example the 1st row is laid 4' from the top. The overlapped of panels was just a few inches but since it's usually unseen I allow it to be excessive. Here's a real CI (well, steel actually in this case)roof from the bottom show framing and layout. TIA- this is a restoration of and early 20th century build. It is over the wood shop of the Sierra RR.;

Both sides of the panels were painted so that the underside of the roof should ever be seen you won't see shinning metal (or cardboard).

So I added a guild line;

And came in and wrote this mono log while the panels dried. And I will fix that window.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  12:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....and while there is still work to do on this roof this is what it looks like now;

And if someone in a boat on the bay looks up this is what he'll see, no cardboard to be seen;

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You gotta' keep those bay people happy. Nice job Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  5:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, I don't boat but I like the view from the beach.

Lessons were learn today, I hope.
  • never settle for less than good enough
  • do roofs last

After posting last night I had painted and adjusted the new roof and was planing to start on the Ice house roof. So I started with this;

Now I'm sure that you all have noticed and polity not mentioned the 2nd story window on the right. I wasn't happy with it and ignored it because it would not be seen as the roof over the icing deck would hid it. And, as my regular readers know the plans had to change leaving this window naked unto the world. So I decided I would take a few minutes and fix the window before starting on the Ice house roof.
Yes, you guess it, it turned into an all day project. I end up having to remove the three right windows, clean every thing up and adding extra bracing to the wood sides;

And of course I regularly bumped the new roof which meant I had to stop and repair the new roof. I now have this to show for it;

Hopefully I will be able to layout the ice house roof still tonight before I disappear for a few days to refresh the "inner man".

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  12:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to lay out the roof for the Ice house.
I painted the bottom edge the main color so low angle viewers won't see cardboard under the roof. The Ice houses prototype I'm using had a small overhang compare to other buildings of my era. Here's two shoots of the roof.

This will be my last update till next Monday at the earliest. But I'll be around.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  5:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof looks great Bob! I remember the Flour mill and I take it you colored it in the same way.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2015 :  6:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan, I used the 2nd, the successful method that I used on the Mill's warehouse.

Here's some progress shot as roofing continues;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  12:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more progress;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  12:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While glue dries some more study shots as I try and figure out the roof for the icing platform;

Here you can better see the cardboard mock ups I used to help me visualize the roofs;

This is were you kit builders have an advantage of sorts as all this has been worked out for you. For that matter, those of you who strictly follow a prototype also have this all worked out for you. But us who freelance have the extra fun of designing it for our self in a way that will reflex real world practice.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  6:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree freelance is more fun

Like the complexity of the structure. Keep it coming.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  2:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS Håkan!

I will keep sharing. This was suppose to be a quick little project before I build Water Towers..Oh Well.
I added Hand Rails and made some drawing for the ice deck roof and cut out the pieces for it.

until I can put this together

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  5:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

While glue dries some more study shots as I try and figure out the roof for the icing platform;

That's a good use of your time. I usually spend more than just glue drying time to figure things out. Nothing against kit builders, but doing your own thing has a special challenge and satisfaction when done.

George

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  10:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bob;

This is really starting to shape up!

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  2:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guts, worked a 12 last night. Hope to do some building tonight

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  2:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now back to roof building!
After assembling the simple lean-to that hangs over the stair well I built each half of the main roof over the icing deck. Here you can see both half's. I'm gluing the ridge board in place on the left;

And Here's the lean-to drying in place;

I hope more will follow today

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000