Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2015 :  3:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on your picture, it appears that the hatch from the ice house is higher, and if you come out flat it makes your icing deck to high. So, how about having a short run out from the hatch for a worker to stand/work on the level of the hatch, but then have a ramp down to the correct height, so that you can use the rest of the icing deck as you already have it. The ramp gives the ice blocks a little momentum, and the sawdust gives them 'lubricant" to keep moving. With a low edge along those sections you don't want the ice blocks to fall off from, and openings along the front for car loading, it gives you a good working area. Don't forget, you will want external ladders from the loading dock below so crew can climb up to the icing deck, and you will want drains for the water/rain/snow that will invariably gather on the icing deck. Having canvas tarps handy to cover the icing deck to reduce weather damage will add a point of interest as well.

Horse

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2015 :  4:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Sounds like a lot of work, redesigning and all that. Just don't chicken out!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  10:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse, Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. You have good ideas there.

Mike, Me! Chicken out? This is nothing compare to the great Shaft Line fail of my shop build. The redesign is already being done.
The new deck will only be able to load one car at a time and not while it is being loaded. Pre-cooling the car is better practice anyway. The second story door will be stretched taller. I was a bit worried about the worker's backs anyway. Most of the upper deck work will be saved. It will be cut in two with one half becoming the roof over the meat loading platform. I think the redesigned complex will be a more interesting complex now with the three levels of main horizontal lines.

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2015 :  1:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a wonderful build and a neat formidable redesign. I'm really interested in seeing how you approach this part of the build, so please keep it coming.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  02:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kris.

I started the modification this morning before my Meeting and going to work. Here's the new door cut into the building;

I was also able to frame the door as well as make the new door too. After work I shot a test shot this time using one of the lines refers as they're taller.

The platform height looks good but it's a little short length wise, but there's no room for any additions to it.

Comments are welcomed

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Looking good! What a interesting project. I like that reefer too; looks familiar.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike,
Yes, I shared my Tiffanys on the Yahoo group where you might recall they were criticized for not being lettered for a real freight line.

Anyway, I just wasn't happy with the length of the ice platform so I went back to the layout and checked my clearances and found that I did have enough room on the right to extend the dock and spur 12.5' (yea!) so I started doing that.

I also decided it would be prudent to check the new dock height from the side too although when on the layout it is not view-able from this angle.

Now the only problem is that I'm out of 2x8s.
I hope my LHS, The Whistle Stop up in Pasadena has them in stock. otherwise this project will have to be put on ice until I can get some.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  10:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

This project will have to be put on ice until I can get some.

Oh Bravo!

Well punned!

Horse

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  11:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Actually I don't recall criticism of your reefer, but I tend not to pay much attention to such things, especially when undeserved as in your case. Unless the criticism is aimed towards me. You did such a credible job on the lettering I didn't notice it was your own railroad at first.

I hope you don't experience too much of a delay; I'm enjoying watching this project develop.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horse, Mike Thank you.
I got up mp LHS today. Picked up a July MR (Don Balls article of wagons was great) and tried to pick up some 2x8's which they didn't have. They did have 3X8's and "O" scale 1x4's so I had a decision to make; Boards too thick or a little small. I choose to go small and here are the results.

It's of note that the 1x4's were from Mt. Albert while the 2x8's were from Northeastern they took the stain differently. After assembly I used a light brown stain to try and blend the two together with limited success. The Ice deck is going to have a roof over it too. Is this working? I do like the joint in the deck. And as seen from the lower photo, the normal viewing height,it does look less noticeable.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  6:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Could the part to the right represent an extension or partial rebuild of the original ice deck? If so, you could build subtle differences in the two parts of the deck to build in some history. The idea is if it bothers you and you can't hide it flaunt it.

Honestly though, it looks nice.

Mike

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  10:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike;

I agree with Bob, it gives the deck character. It looks to me like a later addition, which shows a thriving business, rather than a stagnate one. I say run with the extension concept, build it similar, but not exactly alike, so it gives the impression of a growing business.

I like it!

Horse

Edited by - CavalryTrooper25 on 07/08/2015 10:29:15 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  01:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. That's what happened, they build the dock too small and immediately had to add to it. I've added a few details to aid the story. Here what I got done today before going to work.
I started attaching the icing deck. There is a slight slope to the deck. the deck is 3" higher at the house door but the dock is level from left to right.

Now I can add the rest of the deck supports as well as the stair well support as I figure them out as I have no plans for this. Fortunately Dwayne is also building a deck here;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45566

I hope he doesn't mind me stealing some of his designs.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With apologies to song writer Mickey Newbury and singer Kenny Rodgers;

I'm just checking in to share what condition my addition is in.
I was able to add more support to the deck. I figure that the intersection of the "T" is where the most stress will be so that square has 10X10's supporting it while the rest of the deck has 6x6's. Check it out;

Please note that I didn't just end the 10X10's on the deck but place two 10x10 under the deck to provide proper support.

I never stain enough wood ahead of time So I spent the rest of my hobby time doing that and planning the stairwell. The lowering of the deck effected that too. I keep forgetting to finish the hinges also. I must take care of that.

Enjoy.

Download Attachment: PICT2067.JPG
140.22 KB

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  3:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob;

Looking real good!

May I suggest that you consider running the 10xs all the way to the ground, as they are your main bearing surfaces for the ice deck, rather than running them to cross bearers under the loading dock, which just transfers all the weight/stress to the horizontal members, rather than directly to the ground. That will make for weak points, especially when you consider that you will have a lot of water/dampness, and brine solution all over the wood deck, especially the lower one.

Keep in mind, that after icing the reefers, the icemen then tossed in salt to promote evaporation in the ice bunkers on the ends of the cars, releasing the cold through the vents into the lower part of the cargo area, and the heat was then taken out through roof vents by convection. So having salt barrels on, or near your ice deck, and empties below for return to the salt mine, or wherever you buy salt from will add some more flavor to the scene. Not to mention that salting was one of the forms of preserving the meat, beyond just the cooling. You could also have a smoke house, but that is another phase to consider for the future.

Horse

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000