Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  10:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now it's taking shape.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Thank you.

A couple more test/study shots.

Can a tree be too Tall?
My tallest trees are about 18 inches. That's small for a Pacific Coast Pine. Will, take a look;

The Tree on the hill over the tunnel portage is a 12", the rest are 18". The trees do dominate, don't they? How much can I force the perspective? I'm going have to think about this for a little while.
I don't think the house works. The Grand Ma's House (Built 40+ years ago) is just a stand in. I have something better in mind. Still, The house is sitting too tall. Its scenery base needs to be a bit lower, about one layer I think. And the house should just be just one story. The only thing I like about Grand Ma's House these days are its roof. I think (IIRC)that style is called a Witch's Hat but nothing shouts Victorian more.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I think the trees are good. They look like trees.
Grand Ma's house size doesn't look too bad either, maybe a little shorter length and a bit less height might look better, but a two story structure doesn't seem too tall to me from this viewpoint.

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  8:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill, the trees are great, and I don't think that the house on site is bad, unless you want more of a rough house, like a western style log cabin.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  02:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill and Horse, Thank you for the kind words. I really am encouraged by them.
Do You think the trees would look better with grey trunks?

Let me talk about Grand Ma's House by Campbell a bit more. This house is not a true Victorian design. It's what I would call a Neo-Victorian built in the 1940's or 1950's (the Kit comes with a garage even). The bay windows and simple wood work are inappropriate for a true 19th century Victorian. The roof though is a great witch's hat roof.

As far as the size of the building I really appreciate your guys comments and will take them into consideration. I think a one and a half story would serve the site well and allow better view of the Warren and log fill bridge behind it. I will think about this a bit more yet.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  10:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good. Trees are great, lodge-pole? If so then they are very tall if I remember correctly. If your looking to show the grandeur of the trees, I think they look really good.

House looks good, just not sure of the placement and it does hide some of the trestle and buildings behind.

Ultimately it is what you like.

Cameron

Edited by - CBryars2 on 06/19/2015 10:01:51 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  2:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cameron, I deeply appreciate your words.

More study pictures to see how things are fitting together. The yellow building is my old Roundhouse standing in for the blacksmith shop.
That empty space is filling up fast;

From the balloon

I'm generally very pleased with how it's shaping up

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  5:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all making more sense now, and looking pretty good! Grandma's house looks more in scale, even as a stand-in. I think I remember you building the machine shop, a real neat project.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  03:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the trees look great Bob, and the scene is developing quite nicely. The trees don't feel to high to me anyway. Lot of interest with the machinery shop (what a Gem!) and the buildings in the foreground also adds depth to the scene. Can't wait to see it with scenery.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  11:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike and Hagan, Thank you. I highly value your opinions as you are both excellent builders with layout experience. These study shots were intended for me to use to check my mental images with the REAL estate I have to work with but they also help others to see my "grand scheme" rather than the layers I focus on as I build.
Mike, the adventure of my "Shop" build can be found here;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30407

But Chapter 2 and 3 (the wood shop and blacksmith shop)are coming (IGW) as soon as I can get the stretching and leaning parts of the layout done.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  1:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the 'backwards pointer', Bob. That thread is inspiring me to pick up my own machine shop efforts.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Campbell's "Grandma's House", check out the latest Shorpy of a somewhat similar structure. http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/SHORPY-345-02.preview.jpg
Photo's dated 1895.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  4:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Thanks for the 'backwards pointer', Bob. That thread is inspiring me to pick up my own machine shop efforts.

dave

I would very much like to see that Dave. Just be sure to plan well and install all machinery and belting on the first floor before adding the second floor. Not even the floor boards.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, back to the build.

Turning 90 DEG to the right from the last series of photos you have the blend-in to the mill. Here there is a trestle in the foreground, A backlash pond and the Mills trail race and the stream bed to the left.

Now the questions to answered; How do I hide the stream ending at the backdrop? How much trestle(this one will be framed)do I use? How should I handle the foreground on the left?
Yes, with no sarcasm I say, this will be fun!!!!

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  4:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tricky one. Perhaps the stream could taper along the backdrop and be hidden from view where it meets the background with bushes and shrubbery? I made a sketch from your photo.

Håkan

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000