Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  2:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Looks like the pit from a Freshwater Models Sellars Turntable in the foreground…

dave

It is Dave. See page one and two of this thread.

That was a Long Time Ago! :-)

dave

Just Three years. It's been just two years and a month since I decided to tare out most of the layout and build mostly a new one. Despite a few set backs and over ambitious plans I have gotten a lot done. I am after all starting to fill in the holes now and many structures have been built. This is a bit more complicated than diorama building. Yes, 3 years down and twenty more (I hope and pray) to go.
Please keep watching, participating. The fun is picking up speed.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  12:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the picture at the top of page 33 and compare it with today's shot you'll see another hole is filling;

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  03:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Bob, nice to see progress. When I use plaster cloth I add some Tempera paint to the water to stain the white plaster. I've been using brown but black would be better. Keep up the great work.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Phil, I'm just loving see these holes fill up again. Hum, plaster cloth. I have some left over from about 25 years ago.. I wonder if it's still good? I need to inventory all my scenery stuff as I think I might be using some of it soon.
I made a trek to Pasadena to restock my lumber and siding and get a couple of water spouts for the next build after the slaughter house restore/remodel which will be water service facilities. But for now it's scenery planing and this is the next section to tackle;

You see Lake Christina under the bridge? I feel I need to provide a water "way" out from the lake. Lake Christina is also the Mill pound for Evan's Mill. Tentative plans call for a Dam, mill race and stream to go from the lake along the rail road and disappear under a trestle which will be located where you see the curved roadbed which has no sub roadbed. By-the-way the track is still on the old right-of-way. Between this waterway and the roundhouse/shops area in the foreground there needs to be some higher ground so the water will stay where it's suppose to be and not wash everything out but not so high as to block the viewers view of the trains and leave enough room for the shops and storage/service buildings. There are lots of tail pine planed for this area and probably a few homes including El President's. I should also mention that this whole section is removable so that I can install the track, trestle, water tank and section house.

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humm ambitious water project, looking forward to that.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You said it Frank! Ambitious indeed.

Take it away Mr. Harris! You've got a lot to do.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  2:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Karl Thanks, but it's not that big a deal really. The stream won't be viewable and only the top of the mill race will be seen behind the rolling hills. I only have to supply the illusion that they are there. This morning I had to cut the hill down so the top of the trestle would be seen. Pictures, tonight or tomorrow after I form the landscapes more.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  1:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, supply the illusion and let the mind do the rest. Here's the viewer's view;

Here is the best view of the lake/dam site;

And the best view of the trestle site;

In about 20 years you'll be able to board a Wright Flyer and see this view;

but I'm not going to worry about that happening.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  12:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a little more shaping of the nearest land form trying to remove any straight lines from them except where there needs to be a padding for a structures. I'm also planning the scene behind the trestle. I want to add to the existing scenery behind the track enlarging the mountain to the right to behind the trestle without producing a cliff;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  5:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is great seeing you filling in the gaps in the scenery! A thought on the water areas. I read somewhere that styrofoam gases so one shouldnt use it as a surface for water.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Hakan, I'm so happy to see the holes going, going soon to be gone. And thank you for reminding me about the out gassing of foam. It shouldn't be a problem here. If you go back to the first photo of the last posting you can see the stream bottom isn't visible from normal viewing angles so I won't waste the expensive "water" materials here.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your input is needed
Please, be critical

Not so long ago in this Galaxy,
in this solar system actually
There was a
Trestle

Sorry, these are the best pictures I have. When I dismantled the layout for restoration (OK Rebuilding) I tried to remove the bridge in one piece and, yes, you've guess it got about 30.
It just as well thought as when I built it I didn't know about A&I stains or what 30 years of dust and humid air was doing to the wood in addition to the Floquil Walnut stain I used back then. here you can see the difference in finishing of the decks. I hope it is obvious which is the new A&I technique;
I am now trying to reuse the parts from the old trestle. I started with a smaller trestle that will be four feet from any viewer and replace missing pieces with parts stains with A&I. This is what they currently look like;

So You with unbiased eyes, tell me what you think. How does the combination look?
Feel free to comment about my trees too.

And yes, the trestle was on the third planet from the sun.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  01:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving on with my projects I built a base for the trestle;

I then assembled the trestle but found that my calculations were off;

So I cut and added some fillers and all though I should of painted the new additions I didn't and plunged forward;

In addition to this trestle one of my other project is restoring my my Campbell's slaughter house and adding a ice plant to it. Here are the pieces to the ice plant;

and here assembled setting next to, in its approximate location;

In this shot you can see the restored front windows and the paint repair and recoloring of the stonework;

Now for the details, the doors the loading docks and ramps. It will be fun.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 06/06/2015 02:11:24 AM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  03:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I personally like the rebuild of the bridge. The different color tones, to me at least, represent exactly what it is, a refurbished bridge. I've seen similar 'repairs' on an occasional bridge, both automotive as a kid, and in some pictures of actual bridges. One can sometimes even see it in the old black & white pics from long ago, so there are prototype examples.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kris, I appreciate your support and your visit. Most of the remainder of the old trestle will be used in the three short bridges that cross the stream that runs between the roundhouse/shop area and the Main yard in Coos Bay. Whit this build I have concluded that the old posts blend in well with new A&I posts but that the decking should all be the same for my Fifteen year (mostly)old railroad. The two remaining large trestle that I have to build will both be frame trestles with maybe post approaches. That was popular on the west Coast lines where there is a lot of sand of various ages in the soil.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000