Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first efforts at painting grey clouds was a learning experience but the results are so bad I don't want to share them.

But pushing forward, as I can always go back and add greys when I learn to control them latter.
I added highlights to these;

and the painted new clouds;

The big cloud over the valley I want some day to be a rain storm but I don't have the skill to do that yet.

Those of you who have visited bill's Cloud Bank;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45119
know that I posted three examples of clouds on MRR backdrops. Here are the two that weren't found out to be Photoshoped; Rich Rand's;

and Arizona's Dave

I like Ricks, but I think mine are close

Download Attachment: richRand.jpg
83.66 KB

Download Attachment: Dave az clouds.jpg
121.24 KB

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I went back with a very light grey and carefully touch up my clouds. And they photograph well I think;

I want to go back with a little more white on the tops but I'm about to declare the clouds done (was that a cheer I heard?)

I can hardly wait to see them with the scenery done but I must of course.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  2:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! Careful out there planting trees on the hilltops - looks like a thunderhead building on that tall cloud in the center of the bottom photo :)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bill.
The clouds are done and may they never be in the spotlight again.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  01:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I have moved on from Clouds there is slow progress as I work to finish the main line.
in this first shot you see the track in the air before the Mill. There will be a trestle here.

I'm hoping it looks better now with the repaired backdrop. Move a little to the right and this is what you'll see;

The barn and miller's house will hide most of the divider but I will also use trees kinda like this;

The other end of the trestle looks like this;

The Main runs behind the slaughter house (going under restoration currently). I was able to move the main here two more inches from the back drop giving me a five inches to work with. Where the roadbed has no sub-roadbed support will be the location of another trestle.

And finally in this view the flying track about 1/2" lower than the course of the main behind the yard at Coos Bay. Of course the main is suppose to along ways away from the bay but that's Model Railroading;

I've also started working on the land forms in the corner following my practice of doing the bending and the stretching while I can philosophy but there's really nothing to show yet.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Hopefully the engineer will notice in time that the trestle has been washed out. Otherwise it's going to be quite a leap of freight.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, not to worry plastic just bends to stress.
But the line chief engineer is hard at work on the problem.

I tried using pink foam for scenery for the first time as I was able to find some the other day. But only in 1/2" thickness (pink and blue foam is very hard to get in southern California). So I started in the back corner of the layout because it's the hardest to get too. I have to use my access hatch I built into the layout. To get to it I have to bend about 4" lower than my duck under for about 4 feet (my duck under is only 2')so It's hard to get to so I really want to do the heavy work here first. So I cut slices to fit between the track and the back drop and used Liquid Nails for projects to glue them together. I'm not happy that after a day the liquid nails is still setting up and I've learned that you must remove the plastic covering on the foam. But this is what I was able to get done before the I had to re-glue the layers;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The clouds are getting better and better. If I could change something it is that they feel a little too high. I would like them a bit more stretched horizontally.

Otherwise a great job!

Håkan

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  11:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I like your clouds. You are a braver man than me, I'll stick with my hazey backdrop.

Sent you a PM.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  12:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan & Phil, Thank you for your support.
I do appreciate that. I really like the new backdrop.

I joined my layer cake to the remaining plaster scenery and painted the foam with a tan paint;

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I'm looking out the window now and can see clouds every bit as good as yours. Or, maybe it's the other way around. Truthfully, I keep seeing clouds a lot like what you've done so I think you've succeeded.

I also like your mountains.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  6:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Mike.
I can put into words how much happiness I am experiencing finally starting to fill the holes in the layout I made three years ago.
Following Phil's and others advice I spread out the Liquid Nails (got to use up the junk before I can get the other stuff) thinly and I'm getting better results with it.
Here you can see the stream bed in and a mountain raising (with out Volcanic help)up behind where the roundhouse will be;

This mountain will be a inch or two higher but I want ti shape it a bit before adding it's summit. I also built about three feet of mainline roadbed which means I only need to build the approaches to the trestles and of course the trestle to finish the roadbed.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  7:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the pit from a Freshwater Models Sellars Turntable in the foreground…

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  8:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Looks like the pit from a Freshwater Models Sellars Turntable in the foreground…

dave

It is Dave. See page one and two of this thread.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

dave

It is Dave. See page one and two of this thread.

That was a Long Time Ago! :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000