Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  01:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your suggestion. I really appreciate them.

Hagan, Yes I am like you in that regard; I want to learn it instantly. And I don't give up easily especially when someone tells me I can't do it.

You Tube is a great resource. I agree Bob Ross is the man! I also like Tim Gagnon and Miss Nye. I especially like this series done by Miss Nye; https://youtu.be/IUoOzlVr0mw

I want to try Bob Ross' method next but he (and Tim) use a wet on wet method that might not work as well on a dry background.

I also like a five part series done by Chris Lyon;
https://youtu.be/wgInYtjXWvk

but he doesn't do clouds

Please stay tuned you guys

It's only make-believe

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, what others say, take a look at the online workshops painting and search Flickr for reference...it's easier to work after a picture or something then it is from your mind..Maybe Troels can do that but he is a trained artist..

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  06:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=clouds

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  09:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin, that's a great site for inspiration. It's so much easier to copy something than come up with an original creation when it's not your point of interest.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/16/2015 09:59:08 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=clouds

That's a great site! Thank you.

It's only make-believe

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, use Flickr a lot to look at the real thing..just change the search term and you find different pictures..https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=relevance&text=stormy%20clouds

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Clouds
once again I must pay tribute to
Bob Ross

This morning I tried his Happy Clouds technique.
My First attempt;

And I said to myself "That looks pretty Good!"
So I tried it again with a sponge instead of a fan brush. That didn't look so good. In fact I'm not even going to share the results with you. So I next wanted to see if I could repeat the results of the first try and control the shape and size of the clouds. By now the board brush used in step 2 and 3 of his technique was a little damp, as in almost dry. Starting in the right hand corner moving up to the left and then into the left hand corner;

They look good enough to me

But what do you think?
Don't sit on your fingers now.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/16/2015 1:46:50 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting better, and by NO means am I a pro. I just got off the web and collected various clouds and put them into a cloud strip. This way I can cut it out, strip it together and see if I like it. I added the numbers under the pics so I'd know which picture they are.

Fair weather clouds on the left, pending storm in the middle and storm on the right.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/16/2015 2:20:48 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  4:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a vast improvement! I agree Bob, the look good enough to me too. And when one starts on the actual background they probably will improve even more. If disaster occurs there is always the option to paint over them and start fresh.

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  4:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I noticed looking at photos and paintings is that the dark has to be fully underneath the clouds. Although in nature occasionally you'll see some white below the dark, it's hard to get that done well.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  6:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Already better Bob, think your on the right way..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  01:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Håkan, Dave and Marty, Thank you for your continue guidance and support. Bob Ross added a little red to his white which I didn't do. But I think I will try a few clouds that way. After a little more practice I will try the backdrop. I plan to follow this photo as the pattern;

But there will be less clouds and more blue sky and I don't think I'll try and add grey to make rain clouds. I plan to follow the tree planting pattern of making groups of odd numbers.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  07:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob,

Your last attempt looks good to me. I've never painted a cloud in my life, and may never.....

so I can't add anything but this: You can do it! Carry on !

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  08:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Your clouds are looking better. Also, you have a good example to use. It illustrates the point I was trying to make above; don't forget to make your clouds in the distance smaller.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  10:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, don’t forget to make the clouds smaller as get closer to the horizon. That ole’ perspective thing.

The bottoms of clouds tend to have the color of what is reflected from the earth’s surface. I’m not saying if the clouds are over a forest they’ll be green though. I’m going to make my clouds blue/purple on the bottoms since they will be getting the reflection of blue water.

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000