Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOTS of photos of Sellers turntables here: http://www.nswrail.net/infrastructure/turntable.php

One thing that Jack McKie didn't model in his kit is the latch mechanism that sat on the bridge and on the ties of the turntable leads. There was a flop-over that would secure the turntable into alignment with the tracks. The New Zealand S Scale kit I started with has this mechanism.

Now if you were doing a 'fingerstrong' turntable (one positioned by hand), some variation on that latch would be very useful to hold the bridge into position after you've shoved it into alignment.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  11:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! It has been a lot longer than I thought since I've posted an update. Life has gotten in the way a bit but you don't want to hear my problems. However I have been busy on the railroad gathering and planing, things that don't photo too well, but are necessary. I've had quite a time finding the gears and u-joints for my turntable's drive but have finally tracked them all down. I've also been able to track down some passenger car duck bill roofs along with a real sweat combine to fill out my passenger equipment.I also have been designing Mill Slough's Grist Mill.
Additionally I have been working on the track plan of the layout as it was not really doing what I wanted. I have leaned my layout towards operations but I really just like watching the trains run. When I "operate it" it reminds me to much of the freight forwarding career I've been employed at for the last 35 years. Additionally other actives that are important to me cut into my hobby time. So If I have two hours I can devote to the trains I would rather spend 3/4ers of it at the workbench and a half hour of watching the trains loop. So I been looking to simplify my track plan towards these goals. Additionally a friend gave me a very nice gift. This friend is what we now call a "picker". He specializes in antique furniture and decorative arts. When he finds MRR stuff that he feels he can't turn over quickly, he gives it to me. He recently gave me a Model Masterpieces 6 stall Colorado Midland Round House kit. Maybe you saw my tread under glue removal? This is a kit I always thought about using but it's high cost and difficulty of construction has always checked my hand from buying one. Now half the objection has been removed and Dave Emery has given me the help I need to overcome the second issue. But the kit had been started, the windows have been put in wrong and it was dropped (or thrown) but it can be fixed and I was able to obtain replacement windows-BUT it's big! Will it fit? So back to track planning. This is the new plan;

I don't consider this the final product, just the 13th draft. This plan will allow me to make my engines, the engine terminal with the round house and my Machine shop the man focus. I'll be able to run two trains at a time and do a little switching if I want. The staging track that will be built under the saw mill (which will be set in it's own diorama viewed separately from the rest of the layout)will allow me to operate if I want. I feel I can do most of this in two or three years and then have a stage to display what ever God lets me do in the rest of this life.

Comments Always welcomed

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2013 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, I'm glad to hear you are back on track. I agree with you that sometimes it is great to just run the trains so to speak without actual operation.

Not sure about your trackplan, I wonder where the track goes after the runaround track (beside the turntable) in the Coos Bay. Does it end there or connect with the track from the roundhouse area? Or does the track from the roundhouse area go to a hidden staging yard?

quote:
I've also been able to track down some passenger car duck bill roofs along with a real sweat combine

I'm curious about those roofs and car. Any specifics?

I'm sure the 6-stall roundhouse will be a great addition! Nothing beats the look of a big roundhouse with some Ironhorses in front.

All the best,
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan,
Thanks for stopping by. I've lettered the track plan to make it a bit more understandable. It's just a simple twice-a-round.

The passenger car is one of the Mogul Men's kit of Caboose #1. Here's the kit;

I talked nicely to Jerry of the Mogul Men and He agreed to let me have a couple of extra roofs that he had. I plan to use these roof on a couple of shorten MDC coaches like so;

Yes, I have to shorten the coach a bit or lengthen the roof, haven't decided which route to take yet. but it will be a great improvement over the MDC roof. Here's what it looks like shorten;

Download Attachment: V&T1.JPG
66.41 KB

Download Attachment: cb4.JPG
79.45 KB data/railman28/2013225161853_cb4.JPG

Download Attachment: mdcroof.JPG
76.74 KB

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 02/25/2013 4:26:57 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, now the pieces fell together for me. That track configuration must give quite a lot of track distance and running time.

That was a great gift, that roof looks great! What an improvement over the old MDC roof.
And please if you have the time when you start the build it would be great if you could make a thread of it.

I saw on the Virginia & Truckee Yahoo forum some time ago that there was a guy who was thinking on making some lasercut kits of V&T passenger rolling stock.
Have you heard any more on that?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  12:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan!
The guy that was talking about the laser cut kits was doing on his summer vacation from college. Last I heard he was headed back to school and wouldn't be able to work on them a while.
My planning and disassemble of the layout continues. I went out and checked my measurements and found that they were way off so I've adjusted my plans to the Real dimensions. Dave Emory was kind and provided me with a footprint plan for my roundhouse kit. It turned out to take a lot less space than I guessumated so I will use all six stalls. I also cleaned up the staging yard on the right side and made it fit the real space. As that space is a lot smaller than I thought I'll have to do something else with the saw mill. The spur that ends with a switch over the staging yard will eventually serve this mill when I figure out what I want to do.
Here's the track plan;

Download Attachment: 2013b.jpg
59.78 KB data/railman28/201337124628_2013b.jpg

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more designing. The Mill of Mill Slough, Evans mill. Named after Oliver Evans and inspired by Dr Bale's Grist Mill in (north of) Saint Helen, Ca.;

Download Attachment: Evans Mill.jpg
33.34 KB

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good! And as I usually say it would be great to see a building thread

And thank you for the answer on the kits.
I also emailed him and got the answer that he will take it on again later this year. The kits will be mostly made of laser cut wood but the roofs as they are quite complicated he will 3D print.
I hope he will succeed as it rather scarce with good sources for early passenger cars. Lasercut kits also is great for kitbashing.

Thanks,
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Looks good! And as I usually say it would be great to see a building thread

I promise the build treads are coming!!!!!
But right now the demolition much continue to make room for them.

On the laser Kits; I also tried to encourage the guy. His work looks extremely promising and even if his cars fall a little short of being exact V&T duplicates they'll be most useful to us freelancers.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sign w/don't cry for me Argentina

Don't cry for me my brethren!
I'll keep my promise, keep watching.
Before you can build you got to
remove the old.
It was fun,but the Phoenix well rise again!
Even more pretty.

This is demolition with purpose but everything reusable must be saved and stored. I never realized how much room a layout in pieces takes!

This is where the trestle and forest were;

Not everything is going the logging line to the right is staying. The new main line will go under it through the hole I made underneath it.

This is where the saw mill sat before;

before I remove the old control panel I must give some temporary support to the facial board.

On the good news front; I told my wife it would be a good time for me to drop dead from a heart attack as half the RR was gone and she didn't think that was funny!

Any Comments Appreciated.

Download Attachment: bt1.JPG
77.83 KB

Download Attachment: bt2.JPG
84.17 KB

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  10:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Take it a little easy with the demolition. I would have removed my rolling stock and buildings before going in with wrecking ball

Håkan

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Auch major surgery on the layout too..Like the car Bob..and the plans for the mill to. Looking forward to further developments !

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I tore down my last layout I had a vision in mind and built off of that. This will be nice to follow your vision.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  11:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I printed out the yard of my new layout (27 sheets of paper) to see if it will actually fit in the required space and what adjustments I have to make to it. And It DOES!!!

I do have to adjust the turntable lead so that I have room for the service facilities.
so now it's time to hunt down some Homasote in Southern California.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  05:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keeping my fingers crossed that you find some Homasote! Great to hear that you're in the building stage again.

Håkan

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000