Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  9:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Even on wet humid days latex paint dries so quickly it's hard to blend easily. I assume you're doing the blue and white blending thing. It's almost a two person job.

If you can't get smooth blending maybe you can let the white get sort of feather out to get wispy clouds. Is that appropriate for the are you model? Maybe I really don't know clouds at all.

I think what I did once was apply a solid blue, let it dry, and then go back with blue and white to blend up from the horizon and not necessarily try to blend all the way to the top of the backdrop.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, that's very helpful. Your statement " I really don't know clouds at all" reminds me of the Judy Collins Song.
I'm mixing a very light blue with a dark blue. but I like your last suggestion.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  11:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea Mike, that worked. it looks much better now.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  11:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Glad it worked. Sounds like you're committed to getting it all done and done well.

Yes, Judy Collins, the rage among folkies my freshman year in college.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  12:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The back drop still needs a minor touch up here and there and the firewall needs another coat but here how she looks(remember the horizon and mountain locations from the last postings);

Now I need to know clouds

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  08:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

That turned out good. Looks like the shade of blue I used on my previous layout. I liked it because it looked really good in photos, a real blue instead of the washed out gray that you often see.

I never try to paint clouds in an intentional way, they turn out like cartoons if I try. I just sort of swipe or slush the paint on and let the viewer decide what they are looking at.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, Thanks for calling my attention to your layout. You've got an impressive update in the works! Your backdrop extention and new sky are looking good in your progress photos and I'm watching to see what you decide to do down at ground level, both on the backdrop (if anything) and just in front of it.
My layout is tiny and sticks out from a wall like a peninsula. I've been contemplating adding some kind of backdrop at the end that's up against the wall so photos taken in that direction will look better. The 12 inch vertical extention on your backdrop is a good idea, and I'm now looking at making mine taller than originally planned so that low camera positions aimed slightly upward won't overtop the backdrop.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  3:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Bob! Like the transition of the different shades.

Nothing beats the sight of a clear blue sky

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  01:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Bill and Håkan, Thank you very much. I really appreciate the support.

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  10:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure does work for me.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Kris, I appreciate your visit.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  03:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the blue too, Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frederic, I appreciate your support and visit.

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, your new blue sky really looks great.
Did you think about coating the brick wall with a layer of mudd before painting?

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  01:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil, Thank you for your visit and comments.
As for the firewall section; Well, I had a little drywall compound left and plenty of paint so I did use the rest of the compound on this section and repainted it. As I felt you all have seen your fill of blue I didn't share the results but since you asked... Here is the section I shared before;

And here above the logging scene;

I believe that this band of sky will be in the peripheral vision of viewers and that the rougher surface will help producing the cloud illusion.

I've also played with adding flats to Beaver Hill;

Beaver Hill will have the lowest horizon. The horizon will rise as you got to the left or right of beaver hill. The transition to higher horizons being hidden by view blocks of trees.

Do you have any thoughts on cloud painting?

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000