Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use the screws! You don't want nail-pops caused by humidity or bumping something!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  6:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Dave, I came to my senses. Thank you though, I do appreciate it.

Thank you Håkan, that was encouraging. And Yes I'm having the roof done. My 25 year roof is in it's 30th year and for the first time in years it actually rained here and it was raining in kitchen too. Hasn't been a good year for my finances. First the tax man hit me hard and then the roof. At least the first estimate was a surprise coming in in 1/2 what I expected.
Here's today's progress Getting the new board up and taped just before the first dancer arrived;

And behind the mill;

Thanks again

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/31/2015 6:42:20 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  2:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(sung to jingle bells)
Sling the mud!
Sling the mud!
Oh what fun it is to sling mud everywhere
Slapping it on the walls. leaving no tracks
Oh what fun it is to sling mud all day

Ok, the song doesn't work but mudding is fun. It reminds me of throwing pots on the wheel in ceramics class back in High School. Though what I am doing isn't as easy as taping drywall board. First I'm not taping drywall but Masonite type boards. Also my board joints are not anyway as tight as what you find in a quality drywall instal. I have to fill up to 1/8" gaps and and same size offset between the board. For this project I used a new to me product a joint tape with an open mesh similar to what you use to repair fiberglass but also had an adhesive side. This really cuts down on the mess of taping and on how much Mud (joint compound)you need to use. So after two mornings of applying and sanding this is what I have;

I still have some spots to touch up and some sanding to do. Particularly in the center of the last shot where the rubber cement from the old back drop is still causing issues.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More mud, I can see the tape!

Do you use a sponge to finish it or sand it? If you sand, do you have one of those sanders for the drywall sanding screen that attaches to a shop vac? Almost no dust!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, wallboard sanding screen is a great way to turn chalks/pastels into weathering dust :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's gonna look great when done, Bob. Lots of tough looking challenges there!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike; it's going to be a nice mprovement. Impressive.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mikes, thank you I'm at work with poor service. I'll answer better tonight .....Dave you too.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  01:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Hohn, I use both depending on what I need to accomplish and how dry the mud is. To remove dry chunks and splatter I use a plaster sanding block. To feather the edges of the mud and blend into other material I use the sponge. On inspecting the taping tonight they're are places that need a little more mud and several holes that need filling. The biggest problem area is in the center of the last picture where I have to remove rubber cement. Fortunately the worst parts will be below the horizon.
Mike Hamer, Thank you. the joints are smother than they look. The wet mud and stains leaching in from the boarding deceive the eyes. My Dad worked his way through college doing body and fender work. When we were repairing one of my first cars he taught me to use feel to determine how much rough the work still was.

Dave, That's a helpful suggestion, however I don't use chalks.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yikes Bob !.... You are really banging it out... Carry on, and good luck with the new backdrop.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  10:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's to you getting through the mess! Good luck with the remodel Bob. I still have to do my backdrop and I'm putting it off as long as I can.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  12:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl And Frank, Thank you for dropping by and the very encouraging words. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will hurry back and enjoy the progress as slow as it might seem to be evolving.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After sanding and more muding and more sanding and more muding and more sanding and some white primer here is where I'm at. You might want to compare these first two shot with the before pictures above;

On this next shot I drew in a horizon line so you can see what I see. Where the Masonite meet the firewall is obviously the future home of a tall pine tree;

here's the other corner and I marked what's going to be hid by mountain;

I going to let this dry a couple of hours and then maybe I'll be ready to add the colors.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/07/2015 3:13:03 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  5:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

That looks really nice.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  7:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike,
I actually got the color on the backdrop this afternoon but I'm not happy with the results. Even though it is a mild day (67 and threatening rain)the paint dried too fast and I was not able to get a satisfactory blending of the two colors. But tomorrow is another day and I will lick this.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000