Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consistency is what I'm after, but my eye does better than the camera. A good example is my current back drop. I didn't notice that it had faded to green until I saw it in photos. Look at my Avatar photo. that was taken 25 years ago. the lighting then was bright fluorescent blubs and I used indoor Ektachrome Slide film. Times have changed a bit.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2015 :  05:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the limited space between the backdrop and track I think the buildings in the mockup will look great. And it is a great opportunity to make something that looks like a town. Many times one forget that simple 2D pictures of buildings can be very convincing. My friend Erik has build a whole city in a very small space and most of the tall buildings are photos on paper. I'll post a picture later on.

Fun to see the difference in the new lights. I guess the paint color samples stuck on the background is for repainting the background. They really show how the background has changed color to a greenish tone. The colors looks great with the new lights and the new building really looks like fresh wood!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Thank you, your comments were very encouraging.

While I'm letting shingles dry I thought I would do a little planing. some of which I thought I would share. I hope some find this beneficial.
First the building as/is test fit;

wrong focus setting.
Despite the focus, I'm pleased with that. I also like the blue color behind the trees. I think I'll go with that on the horizon.
A little further back and the community building is seen;

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some 4000k 2-light 4' fixtures arriving later this week. I found them for sale on Woot.com (one of those deal-a-day sites). It'll be interesting to put them up and compare them to my current fluorescent tubes.

(At first I ordered some 4000k LED T8 replacement tubes through Amazon, but was shipped someone else's return with one tube labeled "defective". To their credit, Amazon took it right back, but I hope Amazon has some words with the company on whose behalf Amazon filled the order.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  5:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I hope they work out for you but, that is what I replaced

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  11:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now Beaver Hill Jct. Now has a finished Section House;

and the neighborhood;

Download Attachment: PICT1900.JPG
145.12 KB

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  11:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, looks good from here. If I understand right everything behind the section house is backdrop? It is real hard to tell .

My 0.02 I agree that the blue you picked for the horizon blended up into one of the darker blues would be real nice.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  01:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Phil,
The Wife brought home some Chicken in these yellow foam trays. I remember reading somewhere that these trays are easily carved into stone walls and as I need a lot of stone walls, I thought I would give it a try. Here's my first try;

I think I came out pretty good for the first try. Color and stone shape is too uniform but that's an easy fix.

Otherwise, work on the layout consists of working on several small projects while I do a lot of planning. Planing my water tanks (Thanks again Phil), working on the backdrop (removing the old commercial ones and drywall tape that has come loose)and planing the last of the industrial tracks trying to make sire everything fits and looks good.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  02:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and played with my camera white balance;

I don't know, colors look better but is look under exposed- too dark.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 03/24/2015 02:43:15 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  07:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yellow foam chicken trays?

Who'd a thought? Thanks for the idea and sharing Bob...looks good!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  1:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcomed Carl;
Still playing with white balance. This looks 100% better and the cards with the "x" are my prob-lo choice of sky color;

Yes this setting a keeper:

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  12:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice work!

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Horse, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. New additions coming soon but I'm still stuck in the quicksand of planning.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  7:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A saw dust day
A day of measuring twice and cutting once.
Of Lowe's runs
and energy expendended
A Creative and Good Day

As I was preparing my backdrop for repainting by removing the old tape joints and the commercial prints I found myself asking myself that since I was going to all this trouble why don't you fix the OTHER problem with the backdrop? You see 25 years ago when I built the layout I put the backdrop in too low.
About a foot too low. And actually as I remember it, the track ended up a foot higher than planned. That's a good thing for the duck under but not for the effectiveness of the back drop. Anyway I didn't have a good answer to the question so the repainting is now a rebuilding.
And NO I'm not moving the old backdrop. It's mounted to wall as well as to the layout's frame work so I am going to extend it. Here's the before picture:

The yellow thing rising above the backdrop in the middle of the picture is my scientific way of determining it needed to be 12" higher. Here are some more before shots. Behind the Mill;

another old joint;

And that is where my day started.
I started the day buy running to Lowe's and buying the paint I would need. I'm sure you've all noted (as some have commented on) the color cards hanging on the backdrop in my photos of Beaver Hill Junction. I narrow my choices down to two. I liked the way they photographed and displayed on my monitor but I was not sure they were a good sky color so with my daughter in tow (because she has better color vision than I do) we compared the two cards with the real thing and they matched nicely to our sky (good thing we had a nice sea breeze going). One to the canopy and one to the horizon so I bought Valspar Matt 4007-10A Skyscape and Matt 4007-9A Clear Blue Sky in the cheapest base that they had. I will start at the bottom with the light blue and blend it with the dark blue from the top. I had some "Masonite" board stored so I cut some into one foot strips and layout where the new joints will have to be made. I cut new supports from 1x2's and 1x4's, using the wider board for where two horizontal boards will meet and glued them to the existing backdrop. This was the result;

Here the view as if you were looking at the roundhouse or something moving along the Wharfs in the foreground;

So far so good. The supports are just glued in place now. I'm debating whether I should also use screws here too. Although that would mean more taping and filling that's probably the better course.

I hope tomorrow I can get the Masonite up before I start entertaining roofing estimators.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  2:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Bob! It will be great seeing the newly painted backdrop soon

On backdrops. I screwed down my masonite and glued it. I countersunk all the screws so the head came below the surface. I then puttied over it. Despite humidity etc. I have not had any putty coming off. I guess my latex backdrop paint is thick and kind of tuff holding things together

Roofing estimators? You are getting a new roof on the house?

Håkan

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000