Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  01:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys.
Marty, I can move a little quicker If I don't have much planning to do I can move quicker (and the real world doesn't get in the way). The depot was planed out months ago and the out house was a stock build (which for me is very rare) but I change course on the shed so it took the most planning. I'm very happy with the shed and I must find a place for it.

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great Work!

Any plans how you plan do do the water on the wheel and on the flue?

Cameron

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  01:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cameron,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. On the water; I watch your stream building carefully and toke notes and will review your tread when the time comes and then I'll try thing out on a mock up before I do the mill. The wheel will be stuck in stop motion. I'm planing to use mode podge for the water in the flume and the mill race because it seems to do ruff water better. The wheel will be handled basically as a waterfall. With silicone laid out on wax paper as the base followed by layering with matte medium and coloring with white paint as you and others have demonstrated. The entire wheel will get a spray of gloss something to simulate being wet with over spray.
I haven't seen you post in a while. I hope it's just work keeping you from having fun.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  1:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm working on the freight shed for the challenge I had a side and some wainscoting left over from the station so I hit up the scrape box for some unloved windows and some 6" clap-stock that was intended for a auto garage (there's not much use for them in the 1880's) and put together a little cabin similar to my Captain Jack's project. While being built over the water like Jack's this is to be a up-scale cabin. I might even include a boat house for a launch. Here the project to date;

This is the first of my projects that has not been proceeded by some planning drawings of any short. The size being dictated by the available Wainscot material. I do think it has been influenced a bit by Carl's Sardine House build.
The window are just laid in place. I still have to square them and the door up.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All!
Thought I would give you an update on my Cabin build. This will be the home of The Slough's new doctor. DR. C. Moore.

Like other slough housing this cabin will sit over the water. Dr. C. Moore will have a small office on shore connected to this fine structure with a ramp of some short. Being an up-scale build his house will stand out in contrast with the other slough's over the water residents. Captain's Jacks will be to the right and two other sheds similar in upkeep will go to the left.
for those of you who don't remember Captain's Jacks;

Because of the up-scaleness of DR. C. Moore's place requires more planing and painting I'm going to set this build a side until I complete the Freight shed and hand car shed for the challenge.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  10:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the color choices Bob! It will also make for a great scene situated on the water. Will make quite a contrast to the Captain Jacks run down house :-)

Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

it has been influenced a bit by Carl's Sardine House build.

Thanks Bob! Looking good.

I like the little stuff too, but it sure takes the same amount of time to build, right?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  12:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Håkan, White and green trim was the most popular colors for the middle class. Doc is just going over the top a bit. The Captain's isn't run down, it's homely. 1870's trailer parkish.

Carl; That's a fact. It doesn't matter how big the walls are but how many windows and doors need to be cut and how much fuss the details take. Small is just as fun as big.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have lots to share this day but let me start with my latest completion, until I can plant it into the scenery that is, my freight station under construction;

Here she is in her location;

Notice the gap between the stations and how close the backdrop is to the passing track and the paper model behind the finished freight station in the first shot. In model railroading we never have enough time, money or SPACE. Now I'm not going to launch a philosophical monolog on the relationship of these three to each other but just talk a bit on how I use this mock up to conquer my problem here. This is the mock up;

And "X" does mark the spot where the finished structure has to go;

For many modelers the solution to a small space like this is a rock cliff. Not a bad solution if you're modeling Colorado or the Cascades (or even northern California) and other rocky places but this part of Oregon isn't know for its surface rocks so I will have to use other devises to make the illusion of the world extending beyond the table's surface.
One trick is to block any straight views to the backdrop. So I placed the mock up on the "X" and started modifying the design until it fit the space.
Hers the space with a backdrop added (not the one that will be used);

And then with the modified mock up;

I take several shots, close ups, wide shots, some from straight on, others from the far left and right views. I'll share one more;

I review these photos for several hours before deciding to "go" or not. And it is a go.
Here's a close up of the final design with the material I will use to build her;

That is, right after I decided what color to paint her. Probably dark brown or oxide red. I want this to be a no interest spot that will encourage the viewer's eyes to go left or right and away from the backdrop.

PS; While building this frt. station on of my shop light fixtures failed so I used the opportunity to change out all my bulbs to daylight balanced bulbs. All these pictures were taken under them.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 02/17/2015 3:00:10 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  2:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can smell the fresh wood. Awsome.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, are you using 'daylight balanced' fluorescent tubes, or something else?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, yes, I'm using 'daylight balanced' fluorescent tubes. Two two foot tubes in the center of the operators pit and double 48" over the workbench and general man cave lighting. They're giving me consistent colors now. Not one shade outside while another at the workbench and still something else on the layout. but most importantly what I see on the workbench I see on the layout and the camera is happier interpreting it.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ordering some LED 4000k tube substitutes, to see how i like that color. Right now I have a 'bright white' and 'cool white' in each fixture.

dave

p.s. there's a very good "LightMeter" app for the iPhone that is great for measuring color temperature, among other things.

Edited by - deemery on 02/17/2015 6:16:20 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  6:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, 4000K is still too warm. Your Cool white's are 4100k your brights' are 3000k while daylights are 6500K

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  7:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But consistent color temperature can be adjusted in photographs, if it looks good to the Mk 1 Eyeball.

dave

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000