Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  10:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, thanks a lot.
Bernd, thanks for the help.
Over the last year I have done several searches, There are thousands of images on the web. Most taken while the wheel was not in use while others are images of poor interpretations (imho) of water wheels. I have been able to to fine some examples to use as reference;

There are a lot of how-to-make-a-waterfall videos on youtube that I"m trying to through.

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Should have known some one as resourceful as yourself already had things pretty well covered.

You found some really nice pictures. I've only seen a water wheel once some place in the New England states many years ago.

Keep up the good work on your project. I'll be popping in once and a while to see how it's coming along.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  10:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While reviewing the various techniques for water/waterfall making one of the things I found is that it should be the last thing done. That's a bit discouraging because the rest of the scene is years from completion. I guess that gives me plenty of time to research and test various methods. We are having a heat wave with the tempts getting into the triple digits so time in the garage must be limited. Still I decided to see if the mill would fit the desired layout location and how it would look there. The track in the foreground will be on a pile trestle and I really have to improve my layout lighting, but what do you think?

I'm pleased that it fits as planed, that I have the room behind it to be able to hid the hole in the backdrop. The Mill house will go directly to the right of the mill and there will be a small barn behind the house based on
this structure;

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  11:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

While reviewing the various techniques for water/waterfall making one of the things I found is that it should be the last thing done. That's a bit discouraging because the rest of the scene is years from completion. I guess that gives me plenty of time to research and test various methods. We are having a heat wave with the tempts getting into the triple digits so time in the garage must be limited.

Well, I'm really not sure but I *suspect* that doing the water will (a) come out best after a bit of research and practice and (b) work best when done whens the temps are somewhere around 70-75 degrees ... cuz lots of resins, gels and other products "behave" best at ye olde "room temperature" (seriously!)

And, that scene is shaping up dang nice!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats some great mill photos. Your model and some on the pictures makes also me urging to model one!
The building on the last photo looks familiar. Wasn't that photo taken on your trip up to Calaveras Big Tree State Park?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  6:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Dallas, Thank you, your comments were very encouraging.
Håkan, Did I already share the barn? There I go being senior again. But yes, I took it in Dayton, Nevada while attending last years Virginia and Truckee Historical society's conference (and then going to Calaveras BTSP) . I'm looking forward to attending this years in a few weeks.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  6:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, you certainly did. Look at page 12 in your thread.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
page 12! Wow. I didn't realized that I've been working on the mill since February. Man, I'm slow. It's a good thing I built the trestle too or it would of been a really low production year. Seriously I really don't care about the quantity of production. It's just to have fun. I had hoped to have had all track work done by now but I wanted to get back to building structures. After a little more work on the mill there will be several small projects. Repair/finish the Three way, repaint the backdrop(better do something about the layout lighting first), finish the track and start the ruff scenery.

But HAY!

It's only make-believe

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Bob, already can see it with trees all around it...and yes get better light, will improve the photograpy too..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2014 :  9:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been busy. I took a vacation the first weekend of this month. I attended the Conference of the Virginia & Truckee Historical Society where i got to compare notes with historians and other modelers on 19th century railroading. Among the topics was trestle construction and the color of passenger cars on the V&T. Here's one of the trestle models;

On the way up on beautiful Hwy 395 I stopped at Laws. In addition to many pieces of narrow gauge equipment they had a lot of interesting stuff on display. One of their wagons;

and a harness display;

At the conference Heather Clark, a published modeler and professional brass painter show this interpretation of Russia Iron. She match the color of a piece of Russia Iron that was taken off a Engine being restore. The sample was located in a place that protected it from the elements and oxidation.

After Saturday's program I ran up to Virginia City where I can always find inspiration such as this fine house. (Notice the centering of the 2nd floor window);

On Sunday we tour the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City with it's many fabulous displays of models and restored equipment. They fired up V&T #25 and had her running around the museum's trackage for us but the highlight for me was the nearly completed Glenbrook.

They are awaiting the state of Nevada to get their act together and permit the engine to be fired up.

After returning home as my wife has difficulty doing stairs I had a Honey-do that has keep me busy;

So now I can return to the Mill

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  01:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally a little mill work. I worked on the rear porch;

and here installed

an overview;

Good night

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  4:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new work on the mill looks great Bob!

Thanks for sharing the pictures from the trip! Love the Virginia City house. The russian iron on the model loco (PFM Reno?) was also very interesting. Looks very light in the photo. Some more pictures of the passenger cars would be great to see. Wasn't there some new lasercut kits coming?

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  6:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Håkan. The Russia Iron looks lighter in person and has little gloss. Despite her reputation, I have my doubts about Heather's interpretation here. As I stated above, her source for this was a good one but I think we have another example of how many color don't "scale" appropriately to models. I do think it should be a little darker and more glossy. At least as glossy as the brass. For her brass finishes such as the boiler bands she leaves the brass unpainted but buffed. I will take her work into my consideration when I paint my own. The passenger cars seen in the back ground are the Beaver Creek Brass Set imported a decade or so a go. The engine is a PFM Reno detailed to represent the Genoa. She is coupled to a PFM Julia Buffet Club Car. I didn't take any additional pictures of them.
As far as lasercut kits. Eric (Rio Grande Models) released a model of Flanger 52 and the V&T Derrick will be out this winter. He had a Pilot of the derrick kit on display and it was excellent. He is working on a kit for the Brill coaches but it's in the very early stages. There are others who are doing lasercut builds for themselves who are being encourage to share their designs with a manufacturer but I've heard of nothing solid developing in that regard.
Virginia City has many fine Victorian homes on display. I didn't share any pictures of the day we spent in San Francisco after the conference because we just did the usual tourist stuff but we were seeking an oddity shop in the Haight Ashbury district of the city. I didn't realize how many Victorian painted ladies they had there. Hundreds if not thousands, but of course, all town houses.

Thanks again for the support

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, well,
a little here , a little there.
added some steps, some handrails, controls for the gate and a pulley.....

And I declare the Mill isFINISHED

The rest of the ground cover, the water and the rail must come latter.
Now what to do next?

It's only make-believe

jerryrbeach
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  8:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Excellent throughout, I love the weathered paint, the wonderful stonework, and especially the flume gate control and the bar screen.

Jerry Beach

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000