Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  11:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The color on the new sheet looks very convincing
On cats is it Maine Coons you have Bob? I have heard they can grow quite large but compensate by having very nice temperament. The race is quite common here also.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  06:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
No, I've never owned a Maine Coon. Mostly Tabby and Ragamuffin mixes. I have four cats currently. A white tabby,a gray Tabby, a Tourtis shell and a very sweet orange Morgan. But, I hear MC's are very good natured and BIG. About 3'long. Black one's have been confused for Panthers.

And thank you for the help on the roof.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  8:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up is not down and bad is not good But Tuesday is Saturday in my world and I was able to get a lot done on the mill. As you can see in the photos I reworked the warehouse roof and added the roof to the elevator housing;

This is how I joined the two buildings;

So how does the coloring of the roof looks now?
I just need to add docks, the door landing, track and the flume.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  3:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, I guess the CI roof stinks.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  4:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no Bob, it doesn't. I'm sorry haven't answered before. It is just a little difficult for me to see from the pictures you have taken. From what I can see I think the color looks spot on but it still feels a little to shiny reflecting the light. Especially in the lowest picture.

Håkan

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  5:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Er, um ... I'm definitely not qualified on this one ... never done a corrugated roof; haven't really made a serious study of them ...

That said, strikes me as a shiny corrugated aluminum foil roof ... realize that you don't want heavily rusted / weathered ... thinking DULL & CHALKY grays might give the desired effect ... good luck!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  11:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,Dallas, Thank you. The first two of the above shots are taken as the model will be viewed on the layout.
Here are a couple of close-ups. I've painted the two halves differently. Which one looks better or is a better starting point?
"A"

"B"

This is my first CI roof as I only recently learned that it was available in my era and setting. But it might be my last too if I can't figure out how to finish it. I have several places I'll like to use it and add some more verity to my layout roofs.

So any help is appreciated.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 06/26/2014 11:36:01 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  12:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"B" looks much better to my eye. The lighting you've got there is very "hot" and uneven ... so I think you're giving yourself some fits with trying to get photos of what you're seeing from your working / normal viewing angles ... and the hot lighting is adding more glare / reflections ...

I've taken the liberty of playing with the "B" photo a little and reposting it above -- just lessened the contrast a bit and reduced the greenish tint a bit ...

Looks to me that you're on the right track ... from there, I'd try this:

-- a couple light mists of clear flat ...

-- a light wash of "gouache" mixed to a matching gray... the gouache dries dead flat, which should help a lot here ...

-- you don't have to buy any fancy "artist's" gouache ... you can get the $5 set of kids' poster paint at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. and mix the desired shade from the black and white ...

-- or, get both the black and white tubes of Crayola poster paint ...

-- Added bonus: gouache is water-based, like acrylics ... but, unlike acrylics, you can wash it off! So, mix some up, do a wash, let it dry completely ... shoot a couple pix ... if you like it, give it a couple light mists of clear flat to seal it, and you're good to go ... (and if you don't like it, you can remove the gouache with damp paint brush)

Disclaimer: This is all "theory" ... I've never done a roof like that either!

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 06/27/2014 11:33:56 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  09:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used gouache a lot for weathering, particularly mortar lines. Michaels Craft Store carries a cheapo starter/student set, another good item to spend a 40% off coupon on.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  5:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dallas,
I appreciate the help.
I mixed a little gouache gray wash cut with white and just a little blue mix in to cool the warm light. This is the result with workbench lights;

I don't understand the difference in color in the two shoots as booth sides look the same to me.

Here the mill close 3" to the left of it's intended location. Under only layout lighting;

And here outside in the shade.

I think this is a step in the right direction.

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  11:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I think this is a step in the right direction.

Looks like a BIG step in the right direction to me! Roof looks dull and gray ... but not heavily weathered ... seems right.

I see a few little shiny spots, which you'll spot from the photos ...

>>> If you haven't done this already: SPRAY a couple light coats of clear flat over what you've done to seal the gouache! THEN go back and touch up the shiny spots. (If you touch the unsealed gouache with a damp brush, you'll make new shiny spots! Seal it, then carry on.) <<<

And, if I haven't already said so, that's a fine looking mill!

Cheers,
Dallas

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It now looks great Bob. Spot on.
I'll file the method for future use when I have a similar roof to color.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas and Håkan, Thank you. I could not have done it without your guys help.
I can't believe I let myself run out of clear flat spray!

It's only make-believe

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  8:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking much better. I love your stone work

I have used the Wally World grey primer as a base and then weathered. Gives it more tooth and holds the powders well.

Any thoughts?

Also got some acid to try.

Thanks Cameron

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  02:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cameron, Thank you for your comments, but the stonework is not quite finished yet. I need to slightly darken a random stone here and there and add water stains and splash when I add water to the wheel. Your work on water will be quite helpful.

0n the CI: I think Wally World's gray primer would provide a good tooth for other paints. I want to get some myself and test it out. I used Creamcoat's pain gray for my base coat. This was after I tried Americana Gun metal and a chemical blackener made especially for Aluminum. The chemical blackener worked well, just too well, making for a more weathered look than I wanted. Enchant also does a great job of making very weathered and rusted CI but again that's not the effect I wanted. These chemicals as useful as they are, are nasty stuff. Be sure to have plenty of moving air in the area when you use them. For this reason I would try to get the paint to work first. I personally don't like to use calks (but might try then for soot). I've used gouache several times and really like it.

I really do appreciate your comments.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000