Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 93

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  02:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your prototype photo convinced me about the roof color, Bob.
About the coloring of scribed sheets. I don't know if it would be easy on what looks like an already assembled structure, but a method that I have used with good results consists in having a rather deep line between the planks and then use a small brush to let a little amount of diluted paint - or ink - run from the middle of a plank and 'fall' into the cut. This way you can make the visual color separation between contiguous planks visible.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  3:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, thanks again for your comment on my roof. I post not just to get at-a-boys but to get criticism that will make me a better modeler.
Thanks also for sharing your method of working with scribed sheets. I tried it. I like it and it should prove useful on other projects however the grain in this wood is just too heavy for it to work.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  10:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slice N Dice time of HO Corrugated Iron made of Aluminum (Campbell's)foil.

I then treated it with a chemical blackener for Aluminum. I kept it in the chemical until it just started to bubble so I got a slight darkening.

Then I used doubled sided tape to attach the foil to the sub-roof board.

Here's the roof attached to the warehouse;

The roof still needs a cap and it has to be fitted to the mills wall. That has to wait for the mill to be cemented to the foundation. Before I can do that I got to add a Zillion rafter tails and two crane things over the doors.

In the last picture is the wall of woe. you can see it's not white yet.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 06/03/2014 10:55:56 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  5:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first saw the picture of the corrugated roofing, I thought you hadn't started the weathering, since on the picture it looks rather shiny. Then I read that you have started to chemically blacken it. Is the photo misleading or do you still have to weather the panels to get a more worn look?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frederic, the 2nd picture shows the color the best. This part of the building is only 10 years old being built after rail service started.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, not a zillion just 32 rafter tails and two arms above the doors for hoisting equipment up and I get a step closer;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  04:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The building looks great Bob!
just curious when I saw your corrugated siding. It looks a little shiny. Today a new such roof is very shiny but was it like that back in he days?
I'm not sure how they where treated. Where they galvanized?

Håkan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corrugated iron or steel roofing would have been galvanized from the factory, from its origin sometime after the Civil War until paint chemistry got good enough to make a factory paint job worthwhile. I like Scalecoat's 'Graphite and Oil' for this color.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I was about to write, "I don't know" and then I read James' comment (and Thank you James). As far as aging, that too I have no knowledge off. It's real hard to find examples of CI building that we know are just 5 or 10 years old. The examples I have are much older. Given better information, I can always darken the roof but I going brighter, a bit more limited.

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  02:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the photos, I think your color is OK for 5-10 years old, but I agree about the shiny. I haven't done this, but you could try a light coat of your favorite brand of dull varnish. If you hold the model sideways and airbrush "building down" onto the roof, you won't even need to mask.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  01:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James, I've been scouring the web for pictures of CI. I found 1000's about 20 are useful as most show new or very old construction.
But I think I see what your saying now.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  01:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like this;

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  6:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little mill work to report.
I glued the mill to the foundation and the warehouse.
I tried some craft paint on a unused piece and got this result (shown laying on the existing roof);

does this look better?

I also tried to do something about the wall of shame;

I just overlaid 2x8 boards. I think this one can go out in public.

Comments are wanted

It's only make-believe

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  09:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I learned from a reality tv show that you need a big ole Maine Coon cat for your rodent proof warehouse as protecting these warehouses from rodents was exactly what the Main Coons were bred for.
L&N nut
Jon

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  6:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LandNnut

I learned from a reality tv show that you need a big ole Maine Coon cat for your rodent proof warehouse as protecting these warehouses from rodents was exactly what the Main Coons were bred for.
L&N nut
Jon

Jon,
I've read that too. In my research I have found that one of the key suggestions for a
rodent proof house was several cats. I have found it amusing that modern writers talk about the cats being a kind of pscological defense. That the cats didn't catch the rodents but merely scared them off. Several of my cats would (if they could)smile at that for until they eliminated them they would regularly present dead rat and squirrel presents to me.
hope you're enjoying my modeling.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000