Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  12:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frederic.
The Wheel is being built next.

It's only make-believe

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  1:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow thats a really amazing looking building. Do you scratch-build all the buildings around prototype dimensions or do you build them to "look right"?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ross, It Always must look right. But I look for small prototypes and then take off 20% and I'll take something from "this" prototype and something from "that one". But, the unit much have all its pieces. On any build, I've done my research, the element have to be true to the times but the total picture must please the eye. To start this one the mill was sized from the dimensions found in Oliver Evan's "The Young Mill-wright And Millers Guide.".

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 02/18/2014 1:53:07 PM

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah I see, I am starting to realise there is a lot more than just the "standard" sources you can go to when you are researching this era.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  2:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ross74H

Ah I see, I am starting to realise there is a lot more than just the "standard" sources you can go to when you are researching this era.

And for me that's a great deal of the fun. But it is also the great danger of early rail. The Bog of Research, the state of learning and researching to the point of nothing being built, yes, getting stuck in the mud so-to-speak.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  7:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*THIS IS A GRISTMILL UPDATE*
I am so appreciative that we have people who make great investments of time, money and hard work to provide us with their fine products. Kits that allow me to change a detail here or there and have a unique quality structure that makes me look good.
As I did with Campbell's Boat House I have also done with Bollinger's Water Wheel. The Wheel is a fine kit with the problems of the build worked out. Here is how the wheel was designed to look, look at the spokes contacting the rim;

It a OK design. I just didn't like it. So I added 6" to the spoke and put a notch in the end like so;

the assembled wheel look like this;

After I check my mill-wright guild I might add Nut washers to the end of the arms. and I need to do something for the main axle.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  5:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wheel looks nice, Bob. It's better indeed with the heavier spokes.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  02:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Frederic. After I improve the axle it will be time for foundation work.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the wheel axle is looking good but needs some detailing;

The brass needs blacking and the weather wood needs to be touched up.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  4:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That wheel looks great and I agree with Frederic that it looks better after the alteration.

HŚkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  4:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hereís a progress report on my mill. Iíve started work on the New Addition, The Rodent Proof Grain Warehouse;

I originally intended to have this addition in a new White Wash finish but on seeing how good the wood looks naked Iím thinking about leaving the back unwashed. That was often done in my time period.
What do think?
Iím also trying something completely new to me, coloring stones or rather the castings of stone walls.

Iím using New England Brownstone Products (plaster 9really a super product)) and Chooch resin casting.
Iím toying with the idea of having my masons lay some courses of rough cut stones and then have field stone walls on top to the right height but Iím still trying to work it out. Iím also trying to color both the resin wall to look somewhat like the plaster wall. I donít know that I need to do that. Different stones from different quarries should lead to different colors but I feel they should be similar in color.
So here is my first attempt at coloring. Just two colors at this point. The plaster came out nice I think and only needs some additional colors. The resin Not so nice. You see Iíve treated this first piece with white to see if I can get better results.

I need to review Chrisí cabin buildsí.
Iíll take any guidance you experience modelers can give me on this stony issue.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  8:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I'm not dead or even sick, just needed to spend some time with other devotions.
I started working on the Mill again. Built the external framing for the wheel

and continue to plan the foundation as I outlined above. Here's a drawing I made to help me think;

I've decided to use NEB wall for the retaining wall portion of the foundation.

(Edit) I also added a floor to the warehouse, as part as the Rodent proofing the warehouse is built on piles with no skirting on the building so the floor rafters are visible. Pictures to come,

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 05/15/2014 5:43:20 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  7:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, that's some fine modeling !

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  2:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to hear that you're alive and kicking Bob:-). I haven't been so active myself lately as summer activities (read gardening:-)) begins to take their toll.

The latest addition looks great, I'm looking forward to more!

HŚkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  6:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000