Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 94

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  7:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kris and Frederic.
Today I worked on the controlling the 3-ways. I started with the commercial one and tried adding a PSC harp stand. I could not make it work so I had to go to plan B, A caboose Industries unsprung HO Ground Throw and it worked perfectly. See, Straight;

That'a way;

and thee other way;

This ground throw is just temporarily installed. Now that I know it works I'll modify another with a longer wire so that there is room to install the Harp Stand.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  7:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The approach rail for the yard;

I'll save you from a picture showing each direction. Notice that the Harp Stand does show the switches direction. Next will be Guard Rails. I still have to build two Harp Stands, block and wiring to do.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  8:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we all know is a deep subject, finding I had a little more time on my hand I started the guard rails. They went really fast. SO...

The Last Rail is In

the turnouts;

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  8:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not long then until the first train rumbles through.

Håkan

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  4:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, looking great. Those 3-ways really save the space and are much less complicated than a point operated 3-way turnout.

I need to get around to making my switch stands. Still trying to figure out some jigs that don't wear out after a couple of uses.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  6:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the switches, Bob. Hand laying is a labor of love.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  02:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Guys. I do appreciate it.

George, I've enjoyed the process but I did catch myself singing spike'm, spike'm, spike'm to "Rehide".

Phil, I'm not happy with my ground throws. I'm going to try and relocate them so that they're less noticeable.

Håkan, I hope train will roll through before this year does but this is what is on the left side of that first 3-way;

Six feet of low trestle, about half of it on a 18" radius curve, will start here. That the next project.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I prepare for my "Field Trip" to the Virginia & Truckee Historical Society conference and the Sierra-Nevada I made time for a little work. I have been cleaning up the turnouts controls to be more cosmetically pleasing. This is were I'm at;

The ground throws along the front edge will be some what hidden by the wharf buildings. Still a bit to do here but there looking better I think.

Download Attachment: PICT1320.JPG
183.62 KB

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 10/08/2013 6:59:10 PM

Salty4568
New Hire

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  8:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you mount the ground throws upside-down on the stringer just below the fascia location?

Skip

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

As I prepare for my "Field Trip" to the Virginia & Truckee Historical Society conference and the Sierra-Nevada I made time for a little work. I have been cleaning up the turnouts controls to be more cosmetically pleasing. This is were I'm at;

The ground throws along the front edge will be some what hidden by the wharf buildings. Still a bit to do here but there looking better I think.

Download Attachment: PICT1320.JPG
183.62 KB

Skip Luke
Retired Railroader

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  8:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing you only need clearances for 1800s equipment there.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  03:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

It's a good thing you only need clearances for 1800s equipment there.

You've got a good eye. That 40'duckbilled coach clears by about 9".

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  05:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skip, I might yet do that. At least for the three ways. Stayed tuned for developments.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  7:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, while not modeling again yet, except between the ears. I have returned from my field trip to the V&T Historical Society Conference and Sierra-Nevada vacation. The speakers at the conference presented much fine technical information that I plan to put to good use. I consider the V&T as a prime source of information. This is because the tides of boom and bust provided by the different mineral strikes produced a "perfect storm" to preserve railroading as it was in the 1870's and 80's. Massive business needing lots of new 1869-78 era infrastructure and after that thay had just enough business to keep thing running but not enough to buy new stuff. Combined with no document eating fires after 1876 and a dedicated fan base that emerged in the 1950's. We thus have a rich resource of early rail railroading.

Just a taste of what I experienced;

in Dayton, NV.

inspiring scenery;

And BIG trees;

Sorry I can't get tree1 to insert.
I will share other photos as the modeling dictates they're appropriate. One thing I might mention is this; In the forest the different types of "pine" trees really stand out. In the Calaveras Big trees you have not only Sequoias but Ponderosa Pine, Sugar Pine, Incense Cedar and White Fir with the Sugar and Ponderosa Pines reaching almost as high as the the Giant Sequoias. So I conclude it would be good not to use just one pine tree building techniques but several to get the look of obvious different looking tress growing together.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  03:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures Bob!
Sigh, hopefully someday we can make that trip to California.

You're right one should use different building techniques to get variation. I'm to revise my big tree forest.
If you have time I for one would much appreciate pictures of the various tree types.

Håkan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  08:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I've just got caught up with your thread over a second cup of coffee. I've enjoyed looking over your shoulder as you did track work. Although I have hand laid some track, I have yet to scratch build a turnout.

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000