Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 93

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  8:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob on the stub 3 way stops. Saw a picture where brass wire was soldered to outside of outer rails to limit throw to right and left. Said middle was pretty much self aligning.

Thanks again Cameron

PS sorry for delayed response had surgery, just now getting back into "limited" action.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yikes! This pic blows my mind Bob!

How in the world do you......????..ah forget it.

Bravo man! Almost makes me want to build a layout...

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  4:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bob
Will be well worth the effort prototypically.

Håkan

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  9:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bob, this years On30 Annual has a tutorial on a three way stub switch, I'm going with stub switches myself. In the tutorial he
uses flat brass turned up at right angles at one end and soldiered to the bottom of the track. This takes care of both horizontal
and vertical alignment. Check it out, seems like a simple solution to me, I'm a big fan of the KISS principle!

Cheers Dave
don't put off till tomorrow what you can do the next day

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  06:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I'll have to hunt up a copy of the Annual. I'm fond of the KISS principle too but I often find that one's man's KISS is another person's calculus.

While other events and 1:1 responsibilities have slowed my progress lately there is some to report. I finished laying the ties. I used Campbell's Profile Ties for standard track tie but they were too low (lower than the PC ties)so I ended up double stacking them. Once the glue was dry I started sanding down all the ties to the height of the PC ties. Of course, I had several come loose pulling up the paper templates. So re-glue them let them dry and sand again, re-glue, sand again, again and again. While the glue was drying I worked on how I was going to lay the rail. I have found that the measurements I posted above for a #4 frog work out correctly. Pictures of progress soon! (I hope).

It's only make-believe

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That will be a damn fine switch Bob !

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marty,
Well here's some progress shots.
All sanded and ready for rail;

First Rails!;

FIRST FROG!;

ENJOY

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  04:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive track work, Bob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  6:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frederic, But it will impress only if it works.
The easy part is done on the two #4s;

Now comes the exact locating of the head block and installing the harp stands to control routing.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  2:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add that I'm surprised at how easy it is to fix errors. I some how managed to solder a rail on it's side which threw out the geometry of the top switch, but it came soldered easily and corrected easily.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  4:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!
Circuit board is great to work with. Very versatile.

I needed a electrical gap in the rails for a return loop and didn't want to use plastic joiners so a bit of circuit board cut to size roughly the same area of two separated ties. Some cutting away of the board to make the gap between "the ties". Then lain under the rail gap and soldered to the rails made a very sturdy connection.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/11/2013 4:45:11 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Håkan;

Here my latest progress. The Three Way;

and the #4 were I continue to work on the head stock;

It's only make-believe

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  12:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still following along ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dallas, I hope you're enjoying your visits.

During the day, the summer heat is continuing to slow my progress but here is where I'm at. I got the approach rail for one of the stubs assembled;

AND IT WORKS! So far.

One of my bridles is too large and I forgot the rail joiners that are suppose to be on the throw arm but it works. You might have notice that I haven't added any rail stop yet to control the throw arm movement. That's because I want to try and control the switch with PCS Harp Switch stands. The Arrow points to some makes I made to check to see if the PCS HS has enough movement, and it does. Now to figure out how to attach one to the throw bar.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some success achieved. I wanted to use PSC Harp Switch Stands to direct control my switches. Will it just didn't workout. There were two problems; 1st the throw gap was a lot wider than I had planed it to be and 2nd the harp switch could not lock the rails in place. So I had to go to a plan "B". I installed a Caboose Industries HO ground throw and the throw gap was too wide. Here's what it looked liked;

So I needed plan "C". I went online to Caboose Industries web page and checked the specks for their other product. The N-scale sprung model looked like it would fill the bill so I went out to the LHS and pick up some.

This how I installed one along with the PCS Switch stand;

Notice that I also added cut down rail joints to the throw arm. Notice too that the harp switch does indicate switch direction. Here's a shot set for the turn;

There is still a lot that needs to be done, guard rails, painting and staining, frog gaping and electrical isolation, a little ballasting, but the big mental hurdle is jumped now. I will continue to test this first build with simulated heavy use for a few days before moving on. But I'm a little proud of my self guys.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 93 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000