Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: brianrudko ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Page: of 90

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  02:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of this spring I've spent my hobby time on procurement and planning. My layout is about 23 years old and needs some love. It needs its scenery refreshed, a good cleaning, buildings repaired and track maintenance. All of which has been delayed by the knowledge that I wanted to change a few things to ease maintenance, improve running, improve presentation and be more correct for my time period. The biggest change to make the layout correct for my time period will be to replace all turnouts to stub points. But here is what my current track plan kinda looks like;

The layout layout currently doesn't have any Three way switches on it. This drawing was a planning sketch that most accurately shows my original layout.
This is what I hope it will become;

As you can see the most obvious change is the orientation of the turntable roundhouse. But also the passing track at Beaver Hill has been moved so that the south turnout is reachable for maintenance. The same reasoning lead to the log dump entry being moved.
This next view won't impress any of the fine craftsman here but it show me testing these drawing on the layout to see if they would actually work. It appears that they will;

The next step is to see exactly how much room my new turntable will take. So I will now take time to build it and escape the mud bog that planning can become. I'm using Freshwater Models' Sellers Turntable kit. Here's a progress shot;

As this kit is no longer made and Dave and Craig have already ran detailed building treads on this kit (which I have found very helpful) I'll just share progress shots here and then.
Any and all comments are welcomed.
It's only make-believe

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  03:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gonna follow this one for shure !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  06:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a lot of changes. I don't know as it might not be easier to rip it all out and start fresh. Trying to save parts of the old layout has never worked out for me, hope it all works for you.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 06/12/2012 06:38:12 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be great to follow, Bob! Fun to see some more pictures of your layout. Nice crib log bridge in the background!

Please do share some progress shots on the turntable. I also have a Selley stacked away waiting to be build.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  10:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,
You might prove to be right. Let's see.
Håkan and Marty,
I hope you enjoy the ride.

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  5:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added the Pit Rail;

I used "Blacken It" to color the rail, A&I for the ties. Rail is ACC'ed into place. I also deviated from the instructions and drilled a couple of holes in the base board for the feed wires to go through. Yes, I'm using split rail to feed the turntable. It has always worked well in the past for me and I am probably the last DC user left.

Comments always welcomed

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  06:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I had a thought on the pickup. You wrote that you will use a split rail. When I built the diamond scale turntable on my layout I thought of doing the same thing but I instead took one feed through the center shaft with a double wiper pickup below the benchwork. I then at each end of the bridge mounted wipers that took the other feed from the rail. I made the wipers from thin phosphor bronze sheet plate. This has helped improve the electrical pickup alot. I can't think that this would not also work in dc. Just a thought.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  8:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, wiring the turntable as you suggest would work but I would have to wire in a toggle switch to reverse polarity when I turn the engine. With the split rail wiring the polarity is reversed automatically.The phosphorous-bronze pick ups are a good idea. In the pass I've used brass rail wipers for P/u with good results. Clean rail and a little TV tuner cleaner provides turning with out crackling over the sound system. You do get a Good loud clonk when you short out the gap. Thank you very much for your suggestion, I truly appreciate it.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  11:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the pit is finished;

On to the table!

Comments welcomed of course.

It's only make-believe

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bob!

Mike

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice !! Like the bricks in the center...good job Bob !

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  10:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. your comments are very appreciated.

I used "Blacken-It" on all the metal parts of the turntable and made my version of Craig's box to make a floating center pivot;

This is the test fit;
Which looks good to me.

Comments always welcomed

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Mike, You just might be right.
There's holes in them there Hills;

and with the footprint of the new arrangement;

oh! Less I forget, the almost done turntable;

Comments always welcomed

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  5:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, depending on the climate for your railroad, you might want to add some green chalk for moss growing in the pit. That's an environment in a wet climate I'd expect to collect and hold moisture. I admit to insufficient knowledge of Oregon to know if that applies to your RR or not...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  1:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
It's very wet in Coos County. Not Seattle, but still very wet. Moss grows abundantly. I love moss;

it adds a lot of character and certainly will be represented but because it shuns the sun the north sides of anything get the most growth so I will wait until the structures are planted before they get moss.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 06/26/2012 1:31:31 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  5:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bob, and I agree that nice stonework just screams for some moss :-).

Neat box for the floating center pivot. Is that sheet lead you have used?
How have you solved the pickup? If I remember correctly from the kit one should make a wiper from a piece of wire.

Håkan

Page: of 90 Topic Next Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000