Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  8:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Chuck, I completely understand. That's my issue. I'm getting stuff done too, just nothing that's photo worthy... yet. Kinda stinks, doesn't it? You spend a lot of time on some project and you know you got a lot done, but when it's finally over, you have nothing to show for it! Ain't model railroading fun!

But rest assured, those upgrades on the tortoises will make a huge difference.

Mark

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  01:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that slight and not very photo worthy difference of size in the wires is certainly one of the best operating improvements we can bring to our layouts, so I think it really deserves a picture.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  4:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, here is the little bit of fun I am planning. I had an unbuilt resin coal dealership kit sitting on the shelf for years and if I ever built it, I wasn't sure where it would go on the layout. And, to be honest, I wasn't fond of the kit. Well, Full Steam Ahead came out with a laser version of the same structure. So, I bought it. So, back to my original problem...where to place it on the layout.

So, I focused on West Coalton on the layout. I already was going to have coal dealers in two other parts of the layout, leaving West Coalton without a local dealer. I had a coal mine in the town, but no dealer. Seemed strange, to me. I figured this would be the place.

So, I juggled some structures around. Originally, I had a track next to the station for parking the doodlebug when it makes its commuter runs. But, what if I extended the siding and placed one of my industries on that track. I can use it for industrial switching and still have room for the doodlebug. So, I will place Leone Casting next to the station. I moved the freight house from where you see the coal dealer on the drawing. And, now I am set. I think it will make operations a little more interesting.

Here is a drawing of this area of the layout. I still need to complete the entire trackplan, but this gives you a taste of it.

And, here is a photo with Leone Casting and the freight house moved. You can see that I only have to extend the track about 8 inches. So, I will try to get this done the next couple days, after I finish with the Tortoise machines.

Chuck

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chuck, looking good man,, That Box car looks familar,
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I placed it there, just for you, Joe! Just to see if you would catch it. But, it's a little short of its destination!

Chuck

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  8:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Chuck... good thinking... BTW, how is that freighthouse next to Leone's coming along?... the one w/ the custom clerestory... if memory serves, that's a real hanging thread... ha, you're such a tease!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  9:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BandO Boy

BTW, how is that freighthouse next to Leone's coming along?... the one w/ the custom clerestory... if memory serves, that's a real hanging thread... ha, you're such a tease!

Ow!

Yea, guilty as charged. I had a lot of momentum going and I lost it all with the traveling I was doing. And, I look around the layout and can see a couple others that I need to finish. I will remedy that, Jim!

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  10:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

Does this mean we will see a new thread on the build???

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  05:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUTSTANDING!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  07:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Does this mean we will see a new thread on the build???

Jerry,

No, it means I will have to resurrect an old thread. A very old thread.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11040

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  07:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Jerry,

No, it means I will have to resurrect an old thread. A very old thread.

Wow, Chuck, that is an oldie.

Bruce

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  10:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooops, hope I didn't start something here... no pressure, Chuck... truth be told, I should be the last one to kid about unfinished projects... come to think of it, I'd actually need to start something before I could leave it unfinished!... (I don't think research and planning counts).

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No pressure, Jim. I used to finish the projects I start. But the last 8 years have been really tough with all the travel. And, now I am not traveling as often.

So, I am getting after some of the projects that I have set aside. The Tortoise machines have been a priority since they affect operations. The Boxcab was probably one of my oldest unfinished projects.

These structures can't be that far behind!

Chuck

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  07:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West Coalton already looks like it is an interesting town. Is there going to be the edge of a company town on the layout?

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  08:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil,

Yes, the town is in the "blank space" in the drawing. I have to add the structures to the drawing, yet.

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000