Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 260 ]  [ Total: 263 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck excellent work.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice so far. Is that ACL flat the same car as Tichy's model?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  12:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.

James,
The ACL is similar to the Tichy model. I never really looked at the Tichy model, closely. But, in the instructions I downloaded, it has a K brake system and the Mainline Modelr drawing has an AB system. There are a few other more subtle differences. But, for the most part, it is very close.

Dave,
That would be great if Don produced those. I really thought a lot about how to make those poling pockets before coming up with that I dea. Then, I found another idea on Ted Culotta's blog, last night. He created 2mm disks and glued them to the body. Then, he added ACC around the perimeter of the disks. After the glue dried he used a #50 drill to create a depression in the center.

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of Tichy's HO freight car kits come with both K and AB brake parts, but the flat my stepson built last year had only K parts.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An update on my idler car. The car is completely assembled. Next up is to prime it followed by some rivet decals.

The only commercial parts on the car are the brake components (brake cylinder, reservoir, triple valve, valve retainer, brake wheel, and brake hoses), NBWs, chain, trucks, and couplers. All the wire components, including the grab irons, stirrup steps, uncoupling levers, and railings were bent using jigs. The clevis' used for the brake rigging are modified Tichy turnbuckles...one end cut off.

While the main part of the car follows the ACL plans I found in a Mainline Modeler book, the railings, on-deck grab irons, and foot step are influenced by Ann Arbor prototypes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141547859@N02/45205083404

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2020 :  9:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Chuck. Your wire bending is amazing.

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  9:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today, I finished the idler/reach car for my layout. I will have this evaluated for merit in the NMRA Achievement Program, the next time people can get within six feet of each other. In the meantime, I am starting the planning process on the next car.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  12:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Chuck. Should pass with flying colors!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work, Chuck. You have a winner there.

George

Fly Army

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  07:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  08:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's terrific! Usually idle hands get reprimanded but [i]idler]/i] hands are a whole 'nother thing.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/16/2020 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the second car that I will have evaluated for the NMRA Achievement Program for Cars. It is a Lehigh Valley Ice Service Car. It was built in 1911 and is before the era of my layout. But, with my interest in the Lehigh Valley, the planned creamery for the layout, and the desire to build a car with the K brake system, I decided to build it. Paint and decals are next.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2020 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2020 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks nicely put together. What are you using for trucks? The B&M kept Fox trucks in service into the 1950s on equipment that wasn't used in interchange.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/16/2020 :  10:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete and James!

James, This car has Kadee #501 Arch Bar trucks.

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000