Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 262 ]  [ Total: 265 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  10:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking scale cars, and how neat that you personalized them with names. Sounds like the sort of thing a proud, hard-working railroad shop crew would do to such unique and important pieces of non-revenue equipment.

Welcome back from the burnout wilderness.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally finished the hose houses for the anthracite mine.

I have two more small structures to build for the mine scene, but I think I may change gears. I am still struggling to find motivation. So, I thought I might start experimenting with a backdrop for the mine area. Something completely different and it might get me jazzed up, if the results are good.

Chuck

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Those squat little legs under the hose houses remind me of the chicken coop we just bought. The guy over-built the thing and it weighs a ton, but it's not falling apart any time soon!

Love the red. I bet they'll stand out against the other structures and surrounding scenery.

What are your plans for the backdrop?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice weathering on the sheds, Chuck. Not over done.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  6:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you told me that you haven't been doing much since the Mahwah Convention. You've done a lot more than me!

Both the new scale car and the hose houses look great.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  5:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I haven't posted much over the past year. Several reasons for that. One is my Mom has had health issues the last few months. And, the other was I needed to cut back on the amount of time spent in front of the computer so I can get some work done on the layout. And, the last reason is due to more vacation travel. For those reasons, I probably will continue to post less frequently...but maybe more than I did in 2019.

So, let me give you an update as to where I am with the Wyoming Valley. My goal in 2019 was to earn my Golden Spike in the NMRA. I had already met its requirements with trackwork, electrical features, structures and cars. What I was missing was the scenery. So, the focus was to finish the mine scene for the Golden Spike.

At the end of November, I finished the scenery for the mine. In December, I had the area evaluated and submitted the paperwork to the NMRA.

Here is a photo of the overall scene:

Chuck

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  5:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, hope your Mom is feeling better.
The layout looks good.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  9:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wishing your mother the best, and hobby time for you.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  10:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the best to your mom, Chuck, and congrats on the Golden Spike.

Bruce

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  11:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck hope your Mom is feeling better.

Great scene on the RR. Hope to see more from you in 2020.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  06:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time with your mother, vacation, and work on the layout beat sitting in front of the computer any day. Hope she is doing well.

Congrats on the Golden Spike and the scene; it looks good.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing more of your postings in 2020, Chuck. I hope your mother is doing better.

Congratulations on the Golden Spike. What's next?

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

George, the next few projects will be cars. I spent a lot of time gathering source material, drawings, etc. I have created a drawing of a car based on my research and have started the build.

One of the resources I found is a set of three books of plans published from Mainline Modeler articles.

I also went through my issues of RMC to look at the series of articles Ted Culotta wrote. There is some great material in his articles on the details for cars.

May 2003 - Modeling: building the box (resin kits)
July 2003 - Making grab irons (also another article with similar tips in same issue)
August 2003 - Modeling AB brakes
September 2003 - Modeling KC brakes and release rods
October 2003 - Modeling tips for attaching freight car running boards
November 2003 - Modeling angle cocks and air hoses
January 2004 - Dating freight cars
March 2004 - Tips for squaring up a two-piece roof (resin kits)
January 2005 - Weathering freight cars

So, I am well on my way. And, I cannot wait for this to be behind me so I can get back to the layout.

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, somehow I missed your beautiful mine scene photo that you recently shared.
It looks fantastic!
I hope your Mom's health improves!

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  3:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, Hope your mom is doing better.
I've seen Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Car Series in RMC and some articles from Mainline Modeler.
You got a bunch of good referenece material to work from there.
Nice mine scene. How did the NMRA assessment go?

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000