Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  07:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea on moving the door to the other end, Chuck. You did a great job on this model. When packing up, I discovered that I have two of these still in their boxes.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job on the crane. I like the way you left the windows open.

You could have cut those discs for the pulley on a Cricut machine. I was messing around last night and cut a 9" disk in 0.010" styrene. Keep that in mind.

George

Fly Army

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  08:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work!

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, great work on the crane, looks fantastic!
I learned a little trick regarding making the string/cable hang perfectly.
Place a small weight on the hook, like the end of a paint brush or the sharpened end of a pencil.
This will make the string straight.
Then wet the string using a small brush, with some scenic cement.
When it's had a chance to dry remove the weight off the hook, and your crane string/cable will hang perfectly straight, and hold that shape.

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  09:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did something similar, Greg. Unfortunately, I accidentally banged it around a little setting it up for the photos. So, I need to go back and straighten it. Thanks for the input, though!

Chuck

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Chuck!

Mark

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To say that this is really wonderful is a big understatement
Thank You

Jan

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  10:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Thanks for answering my questions a while back. I'm just now revisiting this thread and pleased to see that 'little hook'. Well, at least that's Alexander's name for it. I built their version and even attempted to make it per the instructions using slices of the paper card provided to create the diamond/x bracing. I had no problem getting the strips cut, and no problems getting them glued into place. But the kit was so old that the paper just didn't hold up and it buckled, so I found some suitable styrene strip instead. It is a great kit and mine has been packed away for a while. In a few months I may be getting it out, however, as I'll be installing it on a new layout.

I really like how your JL version came out. The little variations and differences we introduce into simple kits as this really make them unique.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. And, I agree, Galen. Anymore, I find I cannot build a model without adding my own personal touches to them. It might slow you down, but it is worth it.

So, I have been working on the narrow gauge track for the mine. I bought three Peco N scale 9-inch radius turnouts (ST-5 and ST-6). They are code 80 track, which is heavy for mine tracks. But, they match the Peco HOn30 flex track that I used for the rest of the track.

Here is the simple trackplan I crated to fit the 20 1/2 inch space between the structures.

And, this is what it looks like, now. I still have to detail the scene. But, you can see that a portion of the track runs through two of the conveyor supports.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  7:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the latest addition to my rolling stock. I seem to have an interest in non-revenue cars. First the snowplow wedge. And, now a caboose.

When I was a member of the Ramapo Valley Railroad Club in NJ, back in the 1990's. there were a few bay window cabooses on the layout. They were made by Varney. I liked them due to the size of the cars. There are other manufacturers of bay window cabooses, such as Athearn, but they are longer cars and did not appeal to me.

Plus, as a teenager, I had an interest in the B&O and Chessie System. That was due to the some of the locomotives given to me as presents over the years. And, I still have a fondness for the B&O.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon Spring Mills Depot I-12 Wagon-Top cabooses. I loved them, right away. They were similar to the length of the Varneys. And, they are of B&O heritage. But, the price. I really, really thought about that. I usually don't buy high end cars. But, I made an exception.

Unfortunately, the undecorated models were sold out. So, I bought one lettered for the B&O. I removed the lettering using MicroSol. Surprisingly, that worked. But, it also left a shiny area on the model, and you could even still read where the logo and lettering was. So, I had to repaint it. Since the model could not be disassembled, I masked off the windows and doors, since the window frames and doors were painted green. I apinted the body, decaled it, and then repainted the safety details yellow.

And, here is caboose number 32.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  7:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice rehab, Chuck!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck don't know how I missed the track portion. Very nice.

Now for the "BOOSE" that is some excellent painting and detailing. Just what the Wyoming Valley needed!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  8:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking wagon top caboose, Chuck. I've always had a soft spot for the B&O wagon top series of cars.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  10:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Chuck!

Bruce

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000