Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 221 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great project, Chuck, and timely for me, too.

As I finish up my Cars Certificate, I'm thinking of working on some motive power projects. I have three of the MDC boxcabs in various states of repair, the motor upgrade kit (flywheel, etc), the cleaning car add on, the Climax shell, etc. I've been buying that stuff at shows any time I see it.

Anyway, one carcass I want to make into a boxcab. I recently PM's Russ about his upgrade that he did a while back, and I've been bookmarking projects here and around the web.

Last spring, Forum member Graffen was working on one and said he obtained the plans in PDF format. I think I'll see if I can get a set too.

Here is Graffen's link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28905&whichpage=14

The grabs and rivet decals look very good, and I'm looking forward to seeing it lettered for your Wyoming Valley.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will probably start another thread with my project, so that people can find it. Maybe when I am all done, I will compile it into a thread.

Thanks for the heads up on Graffen's project. I missed that. I am interested in a PDF of the drawings, also. So far, I have found drawings on the web, but they are illegible.

I am dumping the motor that came with the kit, completely. I wanted to try a Stanton drive in this one. So, I ordered one from NWSL. A little pricey, but I am using funds from my articles. At least that is how I am justifying it.

This locomotive will find use as an industrial switcher at the Lunde Colliery.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  10:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

Hope you do a thread on this. Should be an interesting build.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

Done. I started a new thread, here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36088

Maybe I will continue the construction thread on the new one and then post the final results here. I just don't want to duplicate efforts.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The boxcab is finished. There were a couple good suggestions to tone down the reflective windows and to hide the wires. Something I am going to think about. But, for now, the boxcab is considered finished. I'll be taking it to my NMRA meet on Sunday for the "Bring 'n Brag" portion of the meet.

Here is a shot of it on a diorama I built:

Chuck

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  3:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking boxcab Chuck. Well worth bragging about

In memory of Mike Chambers

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck

Great job. I don't blame you that is worth bragging about.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  5:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys!

Chuck

Brunton
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  7:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice lookin' motive power, Chuck!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  06:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love her, Chuck. Very nice.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  08:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

LVRR fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  9:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking boxcab Chuck. Sorry I missed seeing it at last Sunday's meet but I just had to welcome a new grandson born to my daughter in Virginia.

Regards,
Rich

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  9:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You missed a good meet, Rich, but grandkids are more important!

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple weeks ago, while operating on Joe's (dnhman) layout, Rick (Harsco) asked me why I haven't updated my layout thread. I guess it is true, people get after you if you don't make frequent updates.

Anyway, I told Rick that what I was working on wasn't anything glamorous. Basically, I've been having some issues with the throw wire that comes with Tortoise machines. It just doesn't provide enough torque to overcome the friction in the roadbed in some places. And, I have frequently read where people have replaced the .025 piano wire that comes with the Tortoise machines with .032 piano wire.

I have about 30 machines on the layout, and so far, I've replaced half. And, it really has made a difference. I hope to finish this little project up in the next couple days. Access to some of them require a few contortions to the body to reach.

Anyway, I've been replacing this:

With this:

Yes, really exciting stuff around here....

But, I do have something else in the works that is a little more exciting. More on that later.

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000