Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 226 ]  [ Total: 231 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Chuck... that fascia makes some difference from what it looked like a couple of weeks ago... and with the skirting in, the only thing you'll need is getting going with scenery... lighting?... really?... actually, those white window frames jump out in photos more so than in person... maybe some light blue paint to match the backdrop... especially if you're going to enhance the lighting! ... very sharp and well-thought out as usual.

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took the month of October off. We went on vacation and when we returned, I started working on the office building for the mine. But, I got to a point where I needed some materials. So, while they were on order, I decided I needed a change of pace from building structure models.

So, let's back up a bit. When I was a teenager, I saw photos of railroad snow plows, both model and prototype. I was really, really fascinated by them. In particular, I have always been fascinated by the wedge types of plows and not the rotary. I even tried scratchbuilding a couple snow plows as a teen, but neither of my models were that good.

When I returned to the hobby in the 90's, I came across advertisements that included the IHC/Rivarossi wedge snow plow. I had them in the back of my mind, but always wanted a model of the Russell snow plow. I never thought I would be unable to find an IHC/Rivarossi model if the Russell never came out as a model. But, that is what happened. When I finally decided to just buy the IHC/Rivarossi model, I couldn't find it.

Then, Walthers came out with the Russell plow 20 years ago, and I was set. I snatched one up on the first run and painted it for the WV.

This past May, I flew out to visit my good friend Gerry Leone and then we drove down to Ames, Iowa for the joint NMRA Thousand Lakes and Mid-Continent Regional convention. I thought I was over not having the IHC/Rivarossi wedge plow. But, the convention taunted me. In the contest room was this model that had been upgraded a little bit.

Then, while out on the layout tours, we saw this very nice kitbashed model that used the IHC/Rivarossi plow. It was on Al Warren's layout, who also wrote an article about building it in the Dec 1998 issue of RMC.

Finally, we saw the prototype Al used in his article while we were on a prototype tour/ride on the Boone Scenic Railroad.

So, now I wanted one. But, I don't think they are made anymore. So, finding one outside of eBay would be difficult. Well, on the ride back to Minneapolis, we stopped at Scale Model Supplies in St. Paul. They had a dozen, or more, sitting on the shelf. I nabbed one.

So, this is the project I decided to work on.

The Plow:
I added Tichy grab irons to the bulkhead of the snow plow. I also added guy wires and turnbuckles to support the cantilevered plow. They also help disguise the "claws" that hold attach the plow to the gondola. I added Tichy rivet plates and a support for the plow blades. And, I added a piece of channel and NBW's between the two claws, to also help disguise it.

Gondola:
I removed all of the cast on detail. The grab irons, stirrup steps, brake details on the underside, and the brake wheel housing. All of the brake details, including the housing, had a very low profile. Plus, they looked like crap.

So, I added Tichy grab irons, A-Line stirrup steps, a brake wheel housing I had in the parts box, a Kadee brake wheel, and Accurail brake details for the underside. I didn't bother with the piping. I also added a coupler cut lever.

The concrete "load" was included in the model as a one piece casting. The load extended above the sides of the gondola, which didn't look right to me. So, I sanded it down to be below the "claws" of the plow. It also had lift rings and tie downs as molded-on details. Plus, there were relief lines to indicate four separate concrete blocks. I removed the molded-on details and cut the casting into four parts. I added lift rings from Detail Associates.

The trucks were also replaced and a Kadee coupler was added.

Anyway, here are a few views of the new wedge plow for the WV. Just in time for the winter season!

And, a few shots of the Russell and wedge plow, together:

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, great looking plows!
Looks like your Wyomimg Valley railroad is ready for what this winter might throw at it.

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Chuck.

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  5:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck outstanding work.

Just hope your not going to need them this winter!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  6:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new plow looks good, Chuck, and ready to give any blizzard that strikes the WV a wedgie.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/30/2017 6:06:54 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  7:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent re-build and paint Chuck!

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Chuck! I like the paint colors chosen for this.

Rich

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great model, Chuck.

Bruce

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some very good looking snow plows'..Nice work Chuck'..

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Chuck! Yup, bring it on mother nature!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys.

I did a little documentation for it, last night. I plan to use it as one of my models for the NMRA car certificate. It won't be one of the models I need evaluated for merit, however. I don't think there is enough there to achieve that, plus, I left the brake piping off. But, it is super-detailed enough to qualify as one of the others I need, I believe.

The two plows will be paired up in a train, one on each end, when I decide to run it around the layout.

As for the colors, I found pictures of prototypes that were the inspiration for them. I really liked it.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Thanks, guys.

I did a little documentation for it, last night. I plan to use it as one of my models for the NMRA car certificate. It won't be one of the models I need evaluated for merit, however. I don't think there is enough there to achieve that, plus, I left the brake piping off. But, it is super-detailed enough to qualify as one of the others I need, I believe.

<snip>

Chuck

Very nice work on the plows, Chuck! Strongly recommend you lay in the brake piping though, if you're headed for the NMRA with this, even for a "display" model. Ya gotta have brakes!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/15/2017 8:55:58 PM

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work on such a crude kit The detailing on the backside of the plow is especially nice. Could you link or post some of the ref photos you used for that area behind the plow?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  7:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Miles,

Thanks for the comments. A little bit of modelers license was made, given the starting point for the model. But, many of the changes were based on prototypes.

The IHC plow differs a bit from Rivarossi. The back of the Rivarossi snowplow is open, and has some supports for the cantilevered plow and skirts to protect the front truck:

I think that angled support is supposed to be a guy wire, like this prototype shot I took of the the same plow in my original post:

But, the backside of the IHC plow is not open like the Rivarossi version. So, I decided to add guy wires where I could as a detail to support the cantilevered plow.

As for the brace that I added between the blades, that is pretty common from what I found. Sometimes, the headlight is mounted on the brace. I decided not to move the headlight. But, I added the brace. But, look at these prototypes.

Here is a photo I found by Paul Rome:

And, this one has a headlight on the support beam, by Mark Llanuza:

As for how to access the headlight, I decided to add grab irons instead of a ladder. The photo I shot of the CNW 262707 I show above has a ladder. But the two shots I have by Paul and Mark do not show a ladder. So, how do you access the headlight? I didn't like the look of the ladder, and since I used grab irons for the gondola, I decided to use grab irons for the back of the plow.

The IHC model provided a flat surface, which was perfect. The back of the snow plow is a separate piece that is glued in place on the IHC model. I carefully used a hobby knife to break the glue joint and separate the back head form the blade. That made it simple to add the grab irons.

I used a BLMA, now Atlas, grab iron jig to drill holes for all of the grab irons on the model.

I hope that helps!

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000