Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 252 ]  [ Total: 254 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  09:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the redo.

Chuck what did you use for the stanchions & railings??

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  09:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Chuck!

Takes a lot of sheer tenacity to re-do this stuff. My hat's off to you.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  11:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recent comments, guys. I really enjoy the research. It is a part of the hobby I never thought about until I re-read Chuck Yungkurth's series on Hard Coal that ran in RMC in the early 80's. I think I would only have built the Walthers New River mine kit for my mine, and called it a day, until I read that. And, as Bruce knows, I am developing a clinic on the topic. Right now, the title of it is "Anthracite Mines: It's more than just a breaker".

Once I finish the headframe, the next step is to finish the breaker. I never added the gangways to it. I could not figure out what to use for them or how to build them. I have that all worked out in my head, now. This will finish the breaker and all I have left to build are more supporting structures for the mine.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, I get a chance to post an update to the anthracite mine. I had to wait for the camera battery to recharge.

The first model I finished is the headframe. I painted the model with Grimy Black and weathered it with three washes: Dark Rust, Light Rust, and A&I. So, after building, deconstructing, and rebuilding, I can call the headframe done. I wasn't happy with the first version but am very happy with this one.

The first two pictures show it as a stand alone model while the third photo shows it with its companion structure, which houses the equipment to transfer the coal from mine cars brought up in the headframe to a conveyor to the top of the breaker.

The second project I finished is the breaker, itself. 12 years ago, I stopped working on it. At that point, all I wanted to add were two gangways and number placards over each track. The Walthers kit did not have gangways. Instead, it had two stairways that lead up to doors on either side of the loading area. These stairs didn't feel like they were part of the breaker. They just floated out there. Then, when I was building the two towers for the mine on the previous pages, I discovered gangways by Tichy. I found my solution.

I also changed the sign for Wyoming Valley Anthracite. I used to have a rectangular version, based on Lehigh Valley Coal Co. But, this ties the freelanced coal company history with my railroad history, similar to the prototypes.

So, here is the finished breaker.

I still have a few structures and details to build for the mine. So, back at it...

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  6:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Chuck. Isn't retirement fun?

Bruce

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done!

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  7:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Excellent work Chuck. I like the weathering...Perfect...

Bob

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  9:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Nice work, Chuck. Isn't retirement fun?

It sure is, Bruce!

Chuck

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  11:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
' Beautiful work Chuck, Excellent job on this structure'. Love the coloring and the intricate detailing'..

Ted

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  11:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one beautiful building.

Good thing you retired we get to see a lot more of the WVRR.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Your structures really have the look of anthracite coal country. Rust and coal dust. They look great.

Mike

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks exelent

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  11:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely gorgeous!

Mark

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that looks FANTASTIC!!!
Very nicely weathered.

Greg Shinnie

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck - that is outstanding work. The weathering is terrific.

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000