Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 247 ]  [ Total: 253 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The handcar shed is finished:

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Chuck.

George

Fly Army

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  4:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Fairly plush accommodations for a handcar. The colors remind me of the two tone grays that the Lehigh Valley used.

Very nice model indeed.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  08:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice colors, nice work.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  10:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice little model, Chuck.

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  10:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Chuck!

Mark

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2017 :  12:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ran through your thread at breakfast - beautiful work! Will continue following with interest.
Cheers,
Dave

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On to the next project for the mine. Back in 2003, I built the headframe for it.

Later, I built a hoist house which lead me down the path where I knew I would need to redo the headframe. Plus, there were a few things I was not satisfied with.

First of all, my hoist house runs two cables. And, the headframe shown here has four sheaves. That inconsistency bugged me.

I also didn't like the handrails I installed, which were made from hard wire and Athearn stanchions.

And, the "steel" structure over the sheaves wasn't right.

And, the sheaves do not have any flanges.

So, now is the time to fix these issues. So, I pried off the "roof", removed the sheaves, removed the handrails, and removed the structure above the sheaves. I also removed the rooftops to the cages since they have two holes in them, four in total...which corresponds to the number of sheaves. Plus, the holes are not in the center, which will make it off balance in reality, I think.

So, here is the unconstructed parts of the model. I am going to throw out the cage rooftops and replace them with new ones where the hole is in the center. I am also relplacing the rooftops shown in the photo, below. They have the "pillow blocks" for the sheaves, but I don't need them. And, I added flanges to the two sheaves I will use, using .060 channel styrene. If you look close, you will see I added pillow blocks to them from Grandt Line. The other two sheaves will become "junk" around the mine.

Somewhere along the line, I lost the ladder. So, that will need to be replaced.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  09:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update on the headframe. From the picture below, you can see I moved back the sheaves when you compare it to the old picture in the previous post. This is so that the cable will be in the center of the shaft when it comes off the sheave. You can also see I sanded off a lot of rivet plates. They will get replaced with Tichy rivet plates, later.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  11:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, I didn't know what a sheave was till I read your post. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

Most of us wouldn't have known you needed four sheaves rather than two or the cables should be centered over the shafts, but when you know it's wrong you got to fix it or it will bug you every time you look at it. Maybe that's why I don't research things as much as I should.

I'm looking forward to seeing the headframe when you're done.

George

Fly Army

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, beautiful work! Your not alone George. I had no idea what most of this stuff was until I read Chuck's post. I commend you on the level of detail you are putting into this. That's why I shy away from too much research. It only highlights what I forgot, didn't think of or can't do!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/27/2017 12:35:24 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  4:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Chuck. Don't you just love working on these head frames??

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  8:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some progress to report. But, I think it will come to a screeching halt, since I ran out of paint in the color I need! So, I will have to get more paint before this project is done. I still have a couple things I can do, but not much.

I painted the sheaves and underneath the platform before gluing them to the headframe. I built the structure above the sheaves. This supports a beam that runs across the top, centered over the mine shafts. Most photos of headframes don't really help explain what it is for. But, I found one photo that showed hooks on the beams. How it was used, I do not know...or for what.

I also beefed up the support for the sheaves.

I also added a ladder with a safety cage. Most of the headframes I looked at seem to have staircases running up the angled portion of the headframe. Mine is at a 75 degree angle. I looked at the Tichy and Central valley ladders I have, and that is too steep of an angle for them. So, I decided a ladder will have to do. I really like the Tichy safety cages. I also added Tichy railings that were in the same kit as the safety cage.

So, I guess I'll run a few trains on the layout for a while.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 01/28/2017 8:35:42 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  08:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reconstruction is looking good, Chuck.

Bruce

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000