Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  10:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the water at the top supposed to be clear, or cloudy & silty? For the latter, Gloss Medium, Mod Podge or the like should work. For the former, you might need something that works in 1/8" layers, like Envirotex.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  8:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Dorr Thickener is finished. I decided to use the Gloss Medium for the water surface. Originally, I was trying to make it a smooth surface, but even with a pallet knife, it left strokes. So, I decided to make the surface uneven with small waves.

I weathered the model with three different washes: Rustall, a home brew rust, and an A&I mix. Plus, I used some weathering powders in some places, like the motor and drive.

So, now my mine will separate the fine coal particles from the water, and sell that as a product to some industries. The fine particles are called Anthrafine.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  8:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Chuck. Very nice indeed. This will look even better when "planted."

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  9:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that's just Hunky Dory! Nice work.

Greg Shinnie

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  10:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Chuck!

Mark

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  11:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Chuck. That really came out nice.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  07:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done, Chuck. I like the way you weathered it.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  09:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great looking (and unique) model, Chuck. The water looks very good.

Bruce

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Chuck', looks real. I like the color and the texture of the water'..

Ted

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe add a duck. :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  3:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Chuck!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2016 :  7:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I wait for the 2017 RR-L challenge to begin, I thought I would turn my attention to another area of the coal mine. I've been wanting to go back and add a conveyor system to feed a coal storage bin for the boiler house. It will require a 90 degree turn. Which means, I will have a tower at the elbow that has one conveyor feeding a second, both conveyors at 90 degree angles from each other.

I am using leftover parts from the Walthers New River Mining kit. The kit has an extension on the one side that I guess is used to load trucks, or something. Anyway, I am going to use parts form this and build a tower. You can see the extension on the right hand side of the Walthers photo:
https://www.walthers.com/new-river-mining-company-kit-main-building-12-1-2-x-9-x-9-3-8-quot-31-2-x-22-5-x-23-2cm

What is odd about that extension is the door that is located on the wall facing the main breaker. It is just a "flat spot". Well, that just won't do. So, last night, I cut open a hole that will fit a Tichy door. I also scribed a horizontal seam for the siding. Anyway, here you can see what the original wall looks like and then my modified one, on the right.

The kit also has some pretty large footings for this part of the kit. They look ridiculous, to me. The footings used in teh breaker are much smaller, but I don't have enough of them. So, I am going to make a mold of them and cast what I need.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tichy door is a nice improvement, Chuck.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  09:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The door looks like it belongs there.

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2016 :  5:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, the latest project and focus continues to be the mine. As I statd before, I am working on a conveyor system. This will feed coal from the mine to the boiler house. Here is a mock-up of what that will look like.

Originally, I didn't have windows planned for the tower. But, it looked like crap. So, I cut some holes in the wall that will have windows, like the ones in the breaker behind it.

In front of the tower, there are two black objects on the plywood. In the New River Mining kit, there are two different sizes of footers. The small one is used in the breaker while the larger is used on a separate structure that I am kitbashing into the tower. Those large footers look comical. So, I made a mold of the smaller footer and cast a few for the tower, which you see as white at its base.

What you don't see is the storage bin at the boiler house. That is because I didn't have the model for it when I took this shot. I do now, and my next post will show it with the completed conveyor. At least that is the plan.

So, until then, here is the current state:

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000