Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 203 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  10:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work. The trash cans' lids look like a mold Bar Mills has; maybe 10 years ago the Hub took the Downeaster & a hired bus to visit the factory/depot and Art filled a bin with cans for us.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished up the boxcar project for our NMRA division's contest. I just have to finish writing it up for our newsletter.

After I write it up, I can get back to the Dorr Thickener for the mine.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  08:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really looks great, Chuck. The details look terrific in place.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All those details really make the model stand out. Well done, Chuck.

It reminds me of Brew Thru stores at the Outer Banks of NC, where you literally drive through to pick up your beer, though I like your architecture better.

George

Fly Army

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that looks really terrific!
I hope you are planning on adding some lighting to it, so it can look even more terrific at night.

Greg Shinnie

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nicely done Chuck! The details really stand out and make the scene. Only thing missing is the sign that says "Railroad Line Night-time Crew Lounge. Member Only!". It looks like the perfect gathering spot!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  5:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. Greg, no lighting will be added. I'm still not sure it will find a home on the layout or just be displayed.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  5:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Thanks, guys. Greg, no lighting will be added. I'm still not sure it will find a home on the layout or just be displayed.

Chuck

What he really means he'll drink all the beer then put it on the shelf!!

Really a nice job Chuck.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 11/22/2016 5:59:16 PM

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  7:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Chuck

What he really means he'll drink all the beer then put it on the shelf!!

Really a nice job Chuck.

Jerry, I thought it meant that he wasn't going to have any light beer!

Chuck, this is a charming little structure, with a great story to go with it.
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use it on your layout somewhere, instead of putting it on a shelf.

Greg Shinnie

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  3:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't been posting much, lately. Mainly because we have been busy doing other things.

However, the last two days, I was able to spend some time at the bench. I've been working on the bridge for the Dorr Thickener.

Originally, I planned to build a pump house for the mine, using Plastruct pumps and motors. However, I was less than impressed by the pump. It just didn't look right. However, if I turned it on its end and made the base round and leave one of the "feet" intact to act as the housing for a worm gear that is connected to a motor, i think I have something.

And, any project I do seems to have its share of NBW's. I found some images of the drive mechanism on some Dorr Thickeners that had a series of NBW's connecting two halves of the housing. So, that is what I did to make it a little more interesting.

The flooring is from Tichy fire escapes. The girders are from a Walthers conveyor kit, modified to the right length. And, the hardest part of this was the railings. I used stanchions from Vector Cut with some hard wire. The stanchions are great. But, the acrylic material, styrene platform, and hard wire would not cooperate with the glue. I ended up using 5 minute epoxy, which is an adventure in itself. And, I added piping from a Walthers piping kit.

So, I still need to add a concrete base and more piping. Also, I need supports on the ends of the bridge that attach to the tank. Then, it is to the paint shop.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I haven't been posting much, lately. Mainly because we have been busy doing other things." I see you going full speed into retirement.

Nice combination of scrap box parts. Looks good.

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea, full speed. Tomorrow, I report for jury duty. I went to the library, today, to get some books to read while I sit around.

Chuck

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  5:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, welcome to retirement where there is so much available modeling time none gets done. So much of life gets in the way. That Dorr Thickener looks great.

Thanks for sharing
TomO

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on that Chuck.

Glad you joined the group of retiree's that don't have all that time for modeling!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since the judge called in sick, yesterday, I was dismissed from jury duty. They only started vetting the jurors on Monday and did not get too far. So, they will start over with a fresh batch of faces when the judge returns.

Meanwhile, I used the last two days to get some more work done on the Dorr Thickener. I figured out how to attach the bridge to the round tank, using Tichy gussets, angle styrene, and an I-beam. And, I added the piping, valves (you don't see the valve wheels, here) and a ladder. I also worked on the foundation for the tank, just a layer of styrene that is not in the photo. So, now I am ready to paint.

Question: I need to model water for the surface of the tank. I was thinking of using gloss medium for that. Any other suggestions or opinions?

Chuck

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000