Railroad Line Forums - Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Chuck Diljak's Wyoming Valley Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops
Page: of 39

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Yes, I believe that is an old Reading line. It crossed PRR tracks in the town of Lewisburg. The scale house came from the Pennsy's Northumberland Yard. I will stop to take photos, next time. What surprised me is that it appears the weigh beam is inside, even after moving it.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  08:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, that makes sense! I guess next time I make it up to the Sunbury/Northumberland area for a research trip, I'll have to cross the river and head north to see it in person.

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  08:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere buried in my boxes of photos I have some photos of an NYC (LS&MS) scale house from Stoneboro PA. It looked very similar to this one, as I remember. I'm looking forward to more photos of the Lewisburg one.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  8:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Work started last weekend on the latest project for the Lunde Colliery: A Dorr Thickener.

A Dorr Thickener is a water treatment facility found at many industrial sites. You don't see it modeled often. MarkF has a model of one on his PRR layout that Rick (Harsco) built for him. It will be used for his Glen Burn colliery. I managed to take a couple shots of the model when I visited, last fall:

Jim Musser also built one for his steel mill, which can be found on his blog:
http://mussersteelmill.blogspot.com/search?q=dorr

I also found one built by Joe Magarac for his steel mill and posted on the Peach Creek Shops website:
http://www.peachcreekshops.com/steelarch6.php

And, one last model I found a photo of:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnourse/4798120536

You can see the models started with two different tanks: Some used a PVC coupling while others used CD holders. The ones using the PVC coupling are perfect for cement Dorr Thickeners while the CD holders are good for the steel versions.

Dorr Thickeners also came in many sizes....in diameter and height.

Waste water from the factory is pumped into the center of the tank, at the top. Pipes typically run along the catwalk. A motor is also located at the center. This drives a pair of arms that sweeps around the base of the tank, pushing the heavy materials in the water to the center where it exits a drain and is pumped out. The water stays above the heavier material and as the tank fills, it spills over an inner wall into a channel that runs around the perimeter, which then drains off into a pipe.. You can really see it in this photo, even though this one is no longer in use:

http://s681.photobucket.com/user/interlake24/media/WheelingDorrThickener.jpg.html

I liked the steel version of the thickener. So, I started with a CD holder similar to this one. The difference is, the one I used has a side that extends above the top of the case, creating a wall that I can use to my advantage.

So, here are the base components to the model. The upper left and lower left are parts of the CD Holder, the base and the "tank". I removed the center post from the base and the locking mechanism along the outer edge. I removed the center post and raised lettering on the CD holder lid, as well. Note the side of the lid extends above the top of the lid.

The upper right is a lid from a deli container. I removed the inside "overhang" used to catch the lid onto the container base. This made a smooth wall. The lid will be used as the inner wall to the thickener.

The lower right is a clear plastic piece that came with the CD Holder to protect the CD's. I sanded this down to fit inside the deli lid.

I also opened up the centers of the lid and the clear CD so that I could insert a modified tape spool in the center, shown in the center of the photo. This is the well that is in the center of the thickener, where the contaminated water is dumped into.

So, when these base components are assembled, it looks like this:

So, quite a bit of progress on it.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  9:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your off to a good start Chuck.

Glad you got away from the 9 to 5 to start this new project.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  9:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to double check with Harsco, but I believe he used a PVC coupling for the one he did for me. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any progress at Glen Burn to better show case his model. I've been working in other areas of the railroad, and now with the new career, my time on the railroad has been reduced significantly! But I'll enjoy watching you build yours!

Mark

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  10:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, this Dorr thickener project looks great!
And your off to a great start, but where are you going to store your CD's now.

Greg Shinnie

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, the difference in diameters between the CD Holder and the deli lid looks about perfect. Nice start to the project!

Bruce

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  1:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice link. I am coming late, but wanted to point out if you look at the photos at the bottom there are some older shots of the same location. Some other cars appear in the older photos and one photo is captioned "Delta Place Station."

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  5:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I haven't worked on the Dorr Thickener, in a while. But, I might be taking a detour to work on something else.

So far, I have been playing around with the artwork for this side project. Here is an enlarged version of the artwork, so far. I still might change it up a bit.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  5:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I missed your Dorr Thickener thread. That's and interesting project, but looking at all those beer cases, the next may be even more interesting.

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  6:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck makes me thirsty! When's the party!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  8:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has my attention.

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  12:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add me to the list of the curious! I know if its something Chuck's working on, its going to look great!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I worked a little more on some other artwork I will need for this project. More beer labels, but this time, not for cases of beer. If anyone wants to download these files for their own use on their layouts, they are more than welcome. The reason they are small is they are the size I need.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 07/09/2016 10:19:06 AM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: Backdrops  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000