Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 216 ]  [ Total: 216 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Page: of 15

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  6:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the old sign.

I believe I am going to need a hotel at the St Mary for visiting dignitaries and the like...

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  5:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's some precision work, my friend. Very nice!

Going back to the exterior, the weathering on the sign fits in well with the peeling paint. Did you use any paint for the rust effect or is it strictly chalk?
It looks like there's a couple fresh cuts visible on the bracing for the exterior stairway (first pic on 7/13).

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooooo nice to see you back!!!!

Very nice indeed. Doors are excellent. Let's keep this going Karl

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All looking good! Very neat assembly on those new little doors ... dig the layer in there ... trim between the window panes and outer frame, etc. Nice.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of game is this now Karl?
You show us just a picture.And we come up with the caption for it.
Okay I will give it a go!
These finely crafted miniature wooden doors left behind, are a very clear sign that the UKGuy can't be that far away.
Nice to see you back at it!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 07/14/2012 7:08:22 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  11:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks guys, your encouragement is exactly what I needed.....

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  06:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see you work on this project again, Karl. I like the awnings and the sign is very nice.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  11:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, much appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by BillMichaels

Did you use any paint for the rust effect or is it strictly chalk?
It looks like there's a couple fresh cuts visible on the bracing for the exterior stairway (first pic on 7/13).

Bill, the sign was painted white and the chips added with rust coloured paint on a detail brush. some of these were streaked downwards before the paint was dry. Finished off with an application of rust coloured chalk. The letters are more grimy/subdued in person, the camera just seems to enhance the red.

I generally will go around the model at the end and touch up all the 'fresh cuts' at one time.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/24/2012 5:07:16 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  3:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  4:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just catching up. great work Karl! unless ive missed it, how did you make the sign? scratch built? kit?

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see some progress again Karl!

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, those are incredibly well made double-doors you have added to the Dry Goods store, with great windows, but my point again about the awnings covering up all that great detail. I know, I put them on my HO version.

The key is to view the model at eye level, but most aren't photographed that way. Maybe you should model this as the non-sunny side of the building, and put the awnings on the side. This may require sitting with you guys next to your workbench with a few Coronas to decide this weighty matter.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  12:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys...

Andy, the sign is a lasercut direct upscale of the HO original, double sided with individual raised letters glued in place.

Thanks Chuck, its good to be making some progress again!

Thanks Mike, you maybe right about it covering up the detail, but, the awnings add character and interest to the walls, too plain without them. Feel free to join us at the bench anytime, there's always a 'C' or two around somewhere to help us deliberate and decide.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  3:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/31/2012 11:43:11 AM

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000