Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 246 ]  [ Total: 247 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Page: of 15

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. You are not going to make me blink. I have learned the hard way from Troels to keep my eyes open all the time. Watching the structures come up on his layout is like watching popcorn pop.

Arthur

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  05:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by terry hansley

Karl

Looks like a nice scene. I'll be lurking.

The foam board is my preferred base--- I lap my corners---by cutting the foam to the inside of the backing with an exacto----doesn't have to be precise. You then have a glue surface for the edge foam.

Will you be using the garage type door on the front of the small building? Just wondering.

Terry H

Could you show an example of the way you cut the corner Terry? Do you then wind up with all 4 four walls as one long section and then crease and glue the 45's together?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Terry, indeed the 'garage' doors will be built, everything will be as true to Brett's outstanding original as possible, after all, if it aint broke there's no need to 'fix' it.

I decided to take a day off work so I spent an hour or so this morning colouring all the stripwood for the siding.

Silver grey for the hotel walls under the peeling white.
Newer bare wood for the dry goods store walls.
All colouring done with chalks.

Time for a break then I can start adding the siding.

Thanks for reading.
Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dry goods done and time for a lunch break and to head to the stor for "supplies"

Karl.A

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  2:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pat

Here are pics.

Terry H

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  2:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl things look great, I like your color choices.

Mark

W,L,&E

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  3:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the look of this kit, will be watching with great interest.

Cameron

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  4:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Terry good idea thanks for the post and pictures.

Karl lunch over yet???? Nice coloring so far.
What color stick did you use for the silver gray?????

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 01/20/2012 4:52:52 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  5:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terry,

You better stock up on Coronas, itís going to take more than one to build that in 2 months.

Frank

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  11:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think you may have your names/builders mixed up there Frank.
Terry was just helping Pat with a simple answer.

Meanwhile I was enduring the brutal Southern winters.....

Sunshine, beer, music & modeling supplies..

I was working on some peeling paint...

Struggled at first but stuck with it...

I think it came out OK in the end, still needs some recolouration and refining obviously, but, overall , I'm happy with the general peel effect so far.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/20/2012 11:02:52 PM

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  12:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the grain you put on those deck boards under the table. I'm trying to get a read on the tools you are using- only five different kinds of tape for a 3 1/2 Corona job? The peeling paint in the last photo is as good as you will see anywhere. I'm also waiting to see if there will be any stripwood traps.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  05:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress. I know I have asked this before, but could you give a step by step process you used for your peeling paint effect?

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  07:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ... on the one and ... yeah, looking good!

On the other hand, that white paint seems awfully white for paint that has aged to the point where a substantial portion has flaked and fallen away. Would like to see more gradation in the white ... with the brightest being somewhat more grayed out than what's shown here. For example:
http://static4.depositphotos.com/1013817/318/i/950/depositphotos_3181374-Old-worn-wood-with-peeling-white-paint.jpg

On the other other other hand ... lead was a darned fine thing for making really opaque white paint ... and the stuff did hold up rather well. Here's another example where the paint is still rather white:
http://www.ranabanerjee.org/2011/Alcatraz/photos_max/Abandoned_building_at_Alcatraz.jpg

But, take a look at the window frame as the "whitest" and then look at the siding again, and you can see some graying (or sometimes yellowing, etc) in the paint left on the siding. So, if ya wanna do something like that, streak various degrees of near-white together over the boards prior to chipping ... or just tell me to shut the **** up and point out that this sort of stupidity is why I'll never finish anything in two months!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  07:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

I think it came out OK in the end, still needs some recolouration and refining obviously, but, overall , I'm happy with the general peel effect so far.

Of course, you may have already worked that all out, polished it off, finished the building and started something else ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boards look great, Karl. I like your winter work shop. If it was me, I'd have that large glass surface cluttered up and be looking for room to paint the wood by now.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000