Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge Flat & Gon cars Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 42

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EM-1

Martin,
What scale are these cars? AND where on earth did you find the decals?

O scale!

Decals? Almost everything is lettered, etc. using dry transfers from Clover House. Nice selection for the pre-1920 modeler.

I do use some decals still, but have moved away from them whenever I can get nice dry transfers.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  11:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Martin,
Thanks for that info!!!!I'll be looking into those at some point, I like the old stuff, anything in HO scale tho from Clover House?

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  2:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EM-1

Martin,
Thanks for that info!!!!I'll be looking into those at some point, I like the old stuff, anything in HO scale tho from Clover House?

Absolutely! Maybe more offerings in HO than in O, in fact. I know that I have almost ordered a couple of sets only to find that they were only available in HO.....

And, I recently got an e-mail that they have a new catalog, etc available - ~30 meg download...

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They look amazing!

Tempts me to re-do some of my older HO models. What do you use to strip them paint off them before you start the repairs?

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  10:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try very hard to not have to strip off paint unless really necessary. I'd rather touch up old paint if possible. At times, just a little judicious sanding to remove offending bits that can then be touched up w/o adding a distraction.

But, if necessary, I go to the old fashioned nasty chemical strippers that will take every down and at times even disassemble the car for you, too. Then I have a kit to put together....and that's fun, too!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  3:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up these 2 on an impulse - I have a hard time passing by reasonably priced Walthers Sierra cars.

One car is missing the end sill and railing and one truck was missing the wheelsets. I had some 36" wheelsets - some Sierra trucks came in 36".... End sill is an easy fix and I can add a decent brake wheel then, too.

Maybe repaint/touch up and then letter for TVRR, I think.

[url=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/mwbpequod/media/Passenger%20Cars/Sierra%20Combine%20and%20Coach%20Red%20and%20Yellow/SierraCombineandCoachrs_zpsaff7db21.jpg.html][/url]

Biggest problem with these is that the interior came loose on the coach and the roof on these cars is glued down tight....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  7:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could open an end door and use 'ship in a bottle' techniques?

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  8:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Maybe you could open an end door and use 'ship in a bottle' techniques?

Interesting idea! I like it!

Ends are 1 piece white metal castings - probably have to Dremel the door out and then when finished make & install a new door, but the latter 1/2 of that is not as hard as the former.

I'm going to have to take another look at these from that angle and see what happens.....

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next up in the queue....

Not sure what the impetus was for its acquisition, but its here and in the way, so it needs just a little help.....

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  11:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little help later....

New roof and reefer hatches and repairs to the one end; new brake wheel and platform....

Edited by - mwbpequod on 06/10/2014 12:05:44 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this one is done.....

On to the next one in the box................

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another nice looking car, Martin. I have a question about the ice hatch doors. I thought they opened the other way.

George

Fly Army

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  5:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Another nice looking car, Martin. I have a question about the ice hatch doors. I thought they opened the other way.

George

No, not always. Some RR's had theirs open in the opposite direction contrary to common convention.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  6:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice crisp looking model. Did the prototype have corner grabs on those wood platforms by the ice hatches?

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  8:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

No, not always. Some RR's had theirs open in the opposite direction contrary to common convention.

I figured you'd find something that ran contrary to convention.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 42 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge Flat & Gon cars Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000